took carbs off now bike won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

took carbs off now bike won't start!

So this weekend i got a little bored, and though my bike ('81 Gs1100) has been running great recently i got the urge to do some tinkering, so i took my carbs off and sprayed them with some carb cleaner, mostly to clean up all the gunk off the throttle. the problem is i put them back on and now my bike won't start! i didn't take any thing apart i left all of them together, at first i thought they just needed to fill up with gas but now i am starting to worry! any thoughts?

First let me say that your subject title gave me a laugh. Secondly, is your bike fully choked with the throttle completely closed while trying to start?

Comment

Did you put the carbs back on the bike before you tried to start it???

Hahahahaha...

Seriously though, it's possible that you may have done some damage to some of the rubber bits by spraying the carb cleaner. Did you spray a bunch of it??

Are you sure you put all the cables back on correctly?

Let this be a lesson to you: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

i have tried starting it with the choke all the way out, and with it closed while giving it gas. i am quite certain that everything was put back on correctly. i did use a good bit of cleaner. what rubber bits are you referring to?

Comment

Just a random thought - check you didn't confuse the carb's vacuum line port with the fuel inlet port??
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Just a random thought - check you didn't confuse the carb's vacuum line port with the fuel inlet port??
            That has always been a constant "fear" of mine. so no i don't believe i did.

Comment

Verify fuel is flowing to the carbs - are the fuel & vacuum lines going to/from the petcock correctly?? Mixed up with the 2 carb vent lines ??

With the petcock on PRI, fuel should gravity flow to the carbs. Does it start when the petcock is on PRI? Just don't leave it in that position, as sometimes fuel will leak past the float valves & get into the crankcase.

If it ran before & all of a sudden it won't, I tend to think something simple has been overlooked - double check all the hose connections & verify everything is properly connected...

Good luck,

Mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

if my bike was running great theres no way i would of tinkered with the carbs lol

Comment

+1 on the vent lines

Did you remember to connect the vacuum hose to the petcock?

I just did a rebuild on my carbs and during adjustments choked the thing out. Played with the adjustments for ten minutes trying to get it to restart before I thought, hmmmm maybe it's outta gas... It was!

Comment

With a catch container handy, open a carb drain screw. Got fuel?
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I have had my carbs on and off a dozen or so times, so it should be no big deal. Did you flip them upside down?

I don't know if this can happen, but maybe the floats stuck in funny position.

Do what Robert suggested and open a drain screw to make sure gas is flowing into them.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ny_redneck04 View Post
                        if my bike was running great theres no way i would of tinkered with the carbs lol

That's what I'm saying...if it's running "great," then there is absolutely no way in Hades that I'm going to start messing with carbs...

Comment

Well it was running great but my throttle was so gritty and sticky i thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a good cleaning, i believe my problem was that i did not prime the carbs after putting them back on, though i went to give it a start last night and found that my battery was dead from trying to start it all weekend, so i got it on the charger and plan on firing it up tonight when i'm off work.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

If your throttle is sticky it's more than likely the throttle itself. The cable.

Tearing apart the carbs more than likely won't make any difference regarding the problem that you're having.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                              If your throttle is sticky it's more than likely the throttle itself. The cable.

Tearing apart the carbs more than likely won't make any difference regarding the problem that you're having.
                              right, i didn't tear them apart, just took them off, so that i could get at the assembly to clean off all the gunk

Comment

Working...
                              X