Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Shim Tool question

Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding the tool used to check the valve shim space (the thin spoon like tool )
    Bikebandit has many from Motion Pro but none of them list the gs 650 under application for the tool. I spoke to one of their sales person and he wasn't sure it would work - It list the GS 550/750/850/1000 though so I thought it should work. Any idea? I looked at Z1enterprises and they have the Suzuki tool listed as one for all 4 stroke engine, but I would like to order some other items from bikebandit and want to make sure the one they have would work. Could this be something that could be picked up locally (I don't have a local Suzuki dealer but a Honda and Yamaha dealer not too far) Is there a generic tool that would work for all bike?
    Thanks much.

Visit BassCliffs tutorial on valve clearance checks. It shows a method of using wire ties. That is the method I used and worked great. Best part wire ties are universal fit.

Comment

checking the space? Is this reference to a feeler guage? Those you can get from auto part and tool stores. Check your manual for the gap clearance to get the right set of feeler guages

Comment

Originally posted by julien View Post
        Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding the tool used to check the valve shim space (the thin spoon like tool )
        Bikebandit has many from Motion Pro but none of them list the gs 650 under application for the tool. I spoke to one of their sales person and he wasn't sure it would work - It list the GS 550/750/850/1000 though so I thought it should work. Any idea? I looked at Z1enterprises and they have the Suzuki tool listed as one for all 4 stroke engine, but I would like to order some other items from bikebandit and want to make sure the one they have would work. Could this be something that could be picked up locally (I don't have a local Suzuki dealer but a Honda and Yamaha dealer not too far) Is there a generic tool that would work for all bike?
        Thanks much.

Hey Julien, ya the one for the 550-1000 will work. I got a 650 and use on mine....as a matter of fact just used it again last night after I built the motor.............again. Dont know why they never list our bike on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
          Hey Julien, ya the one for the 550-1000 will work. I got a 650 and use on mine....as a matter of fact just used it again last night after I built the motor.............again. Dont know why they never list our bike on things.
          Bribird is correct, the spoon shaped valve tool works fine with the 650. I believe they don't list the 650 is because it was a later 2 valve motor design. It really is a different animal compared to the 550, and 750s. By 81, most of the development in motors was going towards the 4 valve motors and the 650 was abandoned in 83. Just a thought, no facts to back it.

Comment

I have used the same tool on 450, 550, 650, 850 and 1100.

But a better, cheaper, quicker, easier method is the zip-tie that Marine36 mentioned.
            My "spoon" tool sits in the drawer now and I only use the sip-tie method.
            Much easier for me.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you buy the tool from suzuki it is pretty pricey. I think like 140. The online tools are like 15. But the cheapest is the zip ties. They also work really well.

Comment

Steve showed me a good tool to use thats made out of a zip tie. ill be using it tomorrow on my 450.
                I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Thanks

I missed (somehow) the zip tie part.... but I won't be spending any money.... thanks guys & gals... Zip ties it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X