I'll bite....fork oil level??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll bite....fork oil level??

After reading the preceeding post about fork oil and levels I phoned my local Suzuki shop to ask them about 81 GS850G levels as my manual mentions only 8.5oz. The tech found the factory manual, looked diligently at it while I was on the phone and said his book only mentions the 8.5oz as well. It did mention using a special tool (suction) but gave no measurement that he could find. Does anybody have this info out there?
    Thanks, Bob

Its in there...although he tried he didn`t look at the correct place. I`m sorry I have no info on your bike. Measuring the oil from the top is the only accurate way to do it. I simply take a flashlight and a small ruler to measure mine. Do remove the springs and compress the forks...I pump them up and down several times to make sure I have all the old fluid out and then do the same when refilling. Good Luck!

Comment

For US types (80 GS850GT), my manual says 251 cc's (sorry, but you'll have to recalculate to oz) or 140 mm measured from the top (160 mm for GLT).

Comment

Thank you

OK, the tech did have this information after all, he just didn't know it. On my piece of scrap paper I have 140ml (maybe he said mm and I missed it). Thanks for the assistance JoJo. Bob

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm. In the previous post concerning fork oil capacities, I voiced the fact that I had been told 145 ml/cc's for my GS425L. I was told this by a parts man, (which always leaves me a little bit suspicious), and now I'm wondering if it was really 144MM????? Me thinks we need to research this a little bit more.

Comment

Just for the record 251cc =8.48732 ounces. so 8.5 is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadmn
              Hmmmmmmmmm. In the previous post concerning fork oil capacities, I voiced the fact that I had been told 145 ml/cc's for my GS425L. I was told this by a parts man, (which always leaves me a little bit suspicious), and now I'm wondering if it was really 144MM????? Me thinks we need to research this a little bit more.
              I must have missed that post.
              Although I don't know the correct fork oil levels for a GS425L, I don't think that 145 cc's is enough. Must have been 145 mm's, measured from the top.

Comment

Yes, jojo, I'm beginning to think that this may be the truth. I observed that, even with leaky seals, the amount that I drained out was almost exactly what I put in. Also, the forks seemed somewhat "squishy" both before and after. I may just try the measuring trick at 145. I am a rather proficient automobile technician, but I am still a little bit puzzled by some of the instructions given here for fork oil level. Do you measure the depth with the bike on the center stand and front forks completely unloaded? That seems to me like the sensible approach, but I'm not sure at this point. Advice, anyone? P.S. - I don't have an owner's manual and am, obviously, somewhat of a novice where 2-wheelers are concerned.

Comment

As far as I know, the level is measured with the springs removed, and forks compressed.

A manual would tell you the right amounts. I only have one for my GS850.

Comment

Some generic info. http://www.geocities.com/ta_deti/ta/oillevel.html

Comment

Thanks, Dan

Comment

The measurement is with the fork removed from the bike in a vertical position, springs removed and upper tube fully compressed.

Andre

Comment

Working...
                        X