Won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't start.

I just got done going through my Mikuni BS34 carbs on my 1982 GS1100GLZ. I got it to fire over once and even start and run for a little bit. Rough but running....It seems like the floats are too low and no fuel is being drawn to the jets. I set them at 22.4MM or .882 inches that I saw in the carb tech thread. Now the bike will not even fire over. If I spray carb cleaner in it will fire
    Fustrated...Any suggestions?

Originally posted by iceman831 View Post
    I just got done going through my Mikuni BS34 carbs on my 1982 GS1100GLZ. I got it to fire over once and even start and run for a little bit. Rough but running....It seems like the floats are too low and no fuel is being drawn to the jets. I set them at 22.4MM or .882 inches that I saw in the carb tech thread. Now the bike will not even fire over. If I spray carb cleaner in it will fire
    Fustrated...Any suggestions?
    You went through them.....what do you mean ? Do you mean, dipped, compressed air blown through and new orings ? You know, the recommended carb cleaning ritual .....

Do you have good spark ? Have you adjusted the valves yet ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. iceman831,

I think the main questions right now should be; Did you follow the carb cleaning bible religiously? Did you bench sync the carbs? Did you put the airbox back on? Are there absolutely no leaks in the air intake system (i.e. new boots, o-rings, airbox sealed)? Let me roll out the welcome mat for you. Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues".

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I can't really add much to what has bee suggested but, did it run before you 'cleaned' the carbs?

Comment

Carbs

Yes i went through them well cleaned and all passesges blown out jets cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner

Comment

Carb cleaner will burn easier than gasoline. You might want to check for air leaks and a good spark. Measure the voltage at the coils - did you change plugs?

Comment

It ran...had a little stumble at quarter throttle between 2500-3500 RPM The bike had sat for a long time prior to my owning it

Comment

Plugs are relativly new have about 1400 miles on them

Comment

Working...
                X