Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H-Bomb Project Beginnings..... (Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H-Bomb Project Beginnings..... (Long Read)

This is actually the first post "detailing" the project my son and I are working on. We've decided to call the bike (GS450L) H-Bomb as a bit of a tribute to my son's great grandfather, Henry. The bomb part comes from it looking like a bomb after being drug out of it's hibernation in a barn. Overall, just looking at the bike, you wouldn't think it hasn't been ran in 15 years because it looks pretty decent. Some surface rust on the frame and pitting on the chrome and what not. The front brake assembly is pretty much shot. The master cylinder and front disc brake caliper is corroded beyond repair. (We have an entire new front brake system coming thanks to eBay.) We traced all the electrical wires and cleaned all connections, especially grounds and tested the components IAW our Clymers. Changed the ignition switch because we did not have the original key. Installed a battery and tested all lights. Believe it or not, they all worked except the right rear turn signal. Pulled the bulb on her and cleaned up the contacts, re-installed her and it works. Amazing! Going through and checking continuity at all the switches and circuits, we found that the start push button was not working. We disassembled it and found that a rather large family of 8 legged creatures had taken up residence there. So we evicted them and cleaned and reassembled the switch. Works! Drained, flushed and refilled the crankcase with fresh oil. Changed the filters too, air and oil. Cleaned the spark plugs, gapped them. (Too much) Re-gapped them. Checked the start system and there is good strong spark at both plugs. Awesome! Removed the fuel petcock and disassembled it, what a gummy gooey mess inside that thing. So we rebuilt the petcock, probably reassembled the part with the vacuum port wrong because the tank won't mate back up to where it bolts at the rear to the frame. Which way does that vaccum port face on that thing? Added a gallon of fresh gas and some Seafoam to the tank, hit the start button and she turned over strong and within a few seconds, fired up! Sounded smooth for about 20 - 25 seconds and then sputtered out to a stop. She will fire up somewhat consistently and run for a few seconds but you can't give her any throttle or she will die immediately. I know our next step in the process is to tackle the carbs. They probably need a complete teardown and cleaning and rebuild. So that's where we are on it right now. Trying to decide if we want to tackle the carbs ourselves, having never opened up a carb before, or just having the local shop take care of it. We've reviewed the carb teardown series and it looks somewhat straight forward, so maybe we will try it. But man, what a blast this thing has been! Still fighting DMV over titling her though........

I say do the carbs yourself. I've never done any mechanical type work before in my life and was able to do it. Just make sure to follow the steps in the carb guide without shortcuts. It's a pain to do it twice....Ask me how I know

Comment

Good for you. Working on that bike with your son is a great experience.

Do the carbs yourself, save some money, and learn a thing or two. There's no magic involved.

Comment

+1 on doing the carbs yourself. It's not hard at all, just time consuming. Stay organized and don't get in a hurry. Replace the orings and manifold oring gaskets (if you have them) The H-Bomb will reward you with many years of happiness. Valve adjustments are the same. These bike love their valves adjusted like kids love Christmas.

Check out this site. Go to parts diagram pulldown and select the Suzuki motorcycle, select your year and look at your bike. It may give some insight on the assembly questions you have.

Good Luck and keep up the good work !

Welcome to Alpha Sports Online Parts Catalog. Search our Online Store for Arctic Cat parts and accessories. We have one of the largest parts inventories on the Web. Authorized Dealer for Arctic Cat, CF Moto and AlphaSports. Hyosung Motorcycles. Pre-Order your 2014 Arctic Cat Snowmobiles and Arctic Cat Atv's, ETon ATV's, CF Moto Motorcycles. Snowmobile Parts, ATV Parts.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
        X