Are these carbs swapable? 83/85 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these carbs swapable? 83/85 GS550

I currently have a 1985 GS550L with carb/intake issues, and wanna do a complete carb overhaul. Since there are no kits available for this bike, I am going to just buy all the o-rings and stuff off Bike Bandit. My question though is in regards to the carbs.

I have a 1983 GS550ES thats in 'junk' condition, im using it for parts, and am wondering if I can simply rebuild those 2x 2-barrel carbs and simply swap then onto my 1985 GS550L when done. Looking at the service manual, the carbs are both Mikuni BSW30SS and have similar specs. As near as I can tell, the only differences are the Main Jet on barrels 2 and 3, the Needle jet size, and the Pilot jet size. I would get new jets from Bike Bandit and replace them with the correct sizes for the GS550L.

Sound feasible?

I think all 4 mains are different. The best source when contemplating these things is the parts fiche at alpha-sports.com.

Comment

No, They are not even similar.

Comment

Originally posted by mostholycerebus View Post
        I currently have a 1985 GS550L with carb/intake issues, and wanna do a complete carb overhaul. Since there are no kits available for this bike, I am going to just buy all the o-rings and stuff off Bike Bandit. My question though is in regards to the carbs.

Sound feasible?

or you could just go to cycleorings.com and get a kit for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
          or you could just go to cycleorings.com and get a kit for cheap.
          Sadly, Mr Barr does not carry O-rings for these carbs. We are the bastard children of suzuki, and support is virtually nonexistent. But I guess that's the price we pay for a 572cc 550.

Comment

can you list the carb specs for both the 85 550l and the 83 550E

lets see what is exactly differant, they have the same size engine 572cc's
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

ES and L model carbs are interchangable but !!!!

If you look in the downloadable manual from basscliff's site provided by melodicmetalgod you will find that the main jets are two different sizes.

One size for the two outside jets and one size for the inside jets.

Pilot size jets are also sized specificlly for each model.

Said pilot jets are MATCHED to their respective AIR PILOT JETS.

Do not mix these up or it will never idle correctly.

All the jets are also matched to the throttle plates for correct air flow.

Get your o-rings from cycleorings, just match up the new ones to the old ones it's less expensive than suzuki.

However if you are set on suzuki seals order the o rings, fuel filter o rings, float bowl gaskets from bikebandit and use very little petroleum jelly on the o rings inside the carbs when installing them so they don't break.

You may have to go down or up in pilot jets one size to get the correct mixture when tuning to get the bike to idle, make sure you do a bench sync !! then a vac sync.

Comment

Originally posted by mostholycerebus View Post

I have a 1983 GS550ES thats in 'junk' condition, im using it for parts, and am wondering if I can simply rebuild those 2x 2-barrel carbs and simply swap then onto my 1985 GS550L when done. Looking at the service manual, the carbs are both Mikuni BSW30SS and have similar specs. As near as I can tell, the only differences are the Main Jet on barrels 2 and 3, the Needle jet size, and the Pilot jet size. I would get new jets from Bike Bandit and replace them with the correct sizes for the GS550L.

Sound feasible?
                Yes it does.

Just clean the es carbs and swap them on, it will be a touch richer i bet but that won't hurt might even help, the only thing you need to replace is the orings, the jets and hard parts you should be able to clean up with a fine wire poking all holes and cleaner.

I don't think bike bandit has the orings listed. your best bet is eitehr take them out and measure them and order from mc master carr the sizes needed or try a set of robert bars stuff and see if any of his work.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                X