Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air filter

Hello,
    I have a 78 GS550 I bought in October, drove about 100 miles, and then parked after adding fuel stabilizer. Now I want to get it running, and was checking it over and realized there is NO air filter on the thing. Nothing of any sort to filter the air. The dude that had the bike before me did some dumb stuff, like when he replaced the battery before I bought it, he didn't take the vent cap off, and also only added water to 4 of the 6 cells. There's some other dumb stuff so I'm probably going to get it running, take my motorcycle license test (have a permit now), and then sell it before some redneck engineering on it kills me (since I obviously don't know what I'm doing).

So, I want to put an air filter back on before going further. I searched ebay and didn't find anything specific for a 78. How about something like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__4-AIR-FILTERS-CHROME-POD-FILTER-SUZUKI-GS550-77-79-39MM_W0QQitemZ330299792039QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcyc leQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item330299792039 &_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1318
    Good, bad, any suggestions?

Does it have the original air box on it. If so get a replacement filter. If you put pods on you will have lean issues and need to rejet.

If it doesn't have the air box I would look into getting a used box and a filter. That's the safe way to go.

There's a place in Wisconsin that has a lot of salvage bikes they might have one for yours. If you want to check I can give you there number and they will ship to you if you pay with a credit card over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by TWeatherford View Post
      Hello,
      I have a 78 GS550 I bought in October, drove about 100 miles, and then parked after adding fuel stabilizer. Now I want to get it running, and was checking it over and realized there is NO air filter on the thing. Nothing of any sort to filter the air. The dude that had the bike before me did some dumb stuff, like when he replaced the battery before I bought it, he didn't take the vent cap off, and also only added water to 4 of the 6 cells. There's some other dumb stuff so I'm probably going to get it running, take my motorcycle license test (have a permit now), and then sell it before some redneck engineering on it kills me (since I obviously don't know what I'm doing).

So, I want to put an air filter back on before going further. I searched ebay and didn't find anything specific for a 78. How about something like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__4-AIR-FILTERS-CHROME-POD-FILTER-SUZUKI-GS550-77-79-39MM_W0QQitemZ330299792039QQadiZ2863QQadnZMotorcyc leQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item330299792039 &_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1318
      Good, bad, any suggestions?
      Before you panic and bail out on this bike, check over the routine stuff. The battery, air filter, oil and filter are things the PO might have only attempted. So get your air filter, fill the battery properly and put a charge good charge on it, change the oil and filter, and check the chain adjustment. Then find a GS forum user close to that might be willing to see you through checking a few other things, like carb synch and valve adjustment. Check the air pressure in your tires too and brake pads.
      You don't say what state you are in? Somebody more experienced might be able to give you a quick safety check to give you some piece of mind.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. TWeatherford,

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Pod filters lead to jetting changes. If you don't want to hassle with it, put a filter in the stock airbox. Pay particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues" in the mega-welcome above. I think there's a manual for your bike on my website, at least something that's close enough for regular maintenance purposes.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

So...how did you like it when riding those 100 miles with no filter ? That should be the basis of your decision to sell, not what the PO did or didn't do. Rarely will you find a +-25 year old bike that doesn't need some work to get her running right. These forums are littered with PO horror stories and without digging a little deeper into your bike you really don't know what you have. Actually if that's all it is, you're pretty lucky.

Most of us here enjoy wrenching on bikes, whether ours or someone else's. To me there's not much better than finding a beater and bringing back to road worthy status......well, there are better things, but the kids read these posts too.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry D is right, PO's could have done any number of things to any bike you might find. It's just a fact of picking up a used bike. The best part is, once you've gone over things, you, A) Will know how to fix them yourself and, B) Know it's been done properly now so as not to worry. Unless you pick it up new, or from someone who has been meticulous in maintaining it (in both cases spend a lot more money initially), I think more than half the fun is learning to fix it yourself and taking pride in driving what you built.
            Truth be told, fixing the bike for me is the fun part, I'm just looking forward to the moment when it's running and I give my dad the helmet and let him take it out for the maiden voyage. He doesn't know it yet, but I got the bike for him to enjoy more than I got it for myself.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not set on selling this bike. I certainly do like knowing the inner workings of my vehicles. I've converted three trucks and a car to run on waste vegetable oil, and do all my own maintenance and repairs, so I like knowing whats up with what I'm driving. I was/am thinking this bike is going to need a little more than I am willing to give it, and it might be easier to get one in nicer shape to start with, but I will read and ask more questions later on that.

Ok, so a stock airbox is the best way to go. I don't want to fool with the carburetors. The bike ran well before I parked it, even without an air filter. It was definitely a little hard to start when cold, sometimes I could cover one of the carb inlets with my hand and then pull it away while cranking, sometimes starter fluid was required. It has no airbox of any sort. I was looking on ebay, and didn't see any for a 78, and also didn't see any for other years that looked like they would hook up to the four separate air inlets that I have on this bike. Are there any other years/models that are interchangeable with mine? Is there anywhere better than ebay to find one?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Here's one for 16.99 on ebay:

I believe 77-79 gs550s all used the same airbox assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by TWeatherford View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions.

It has no airbox of any sort. I was looking on ebay, and didn't see any for a 78, and also didn't see any for other years that looked like they would hook up to the four separate air inlets that I have on this bike. Are there any other years/models that are interchangeable with mine? Is there anywhere better than ebay to find one?

Thanks in advance.
                  Any parts from a '77 to '79 GS550 will fit.

These are the bits you will need.

Comment

Working...
                  X