Gs 700 Idle adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 700 Idle adjustment

My 700 was running great for the past few days, then today I went on a 2 hour lond ride and the rpms keep creeping up higher. I turn my adjuster to get it back down to about 1200 and then the next time I come to a stop it will be back at 3000. Why would this all of the sudden happen?

I'm kind of having the same problem as you, except not as constant. It'll idle fine at about 1500, then after running a bit it would creep up to 2100-2500. I adjusted the idle and brought it back down to about 1100-1200, but then it will decide to fix itself and bring the idle down to about 500. I then adjust the screw and bring it back up to about 1200, then later it would creep back up to 2000-2500. It's a viscious cycle, so i just keep it where it varies between 1100-2100, instead of 500-1500. It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it too much though. Maybe someone here could help both of us

Comment

yea. I forgot to add that it will idle good at around 1200 but then drop all of the sudden until it stalls. So between stalling and 3000 it's not fun. I just wish I could find that happy middle.

Comment

Sounds like we have the same problem, but no answer. Mine has always been kinda sketchy at low speeds/rpm because it's jetted (stage 2) with 4to1 pipes. Do you have aftermarket pipes/is it jetted? I also have K@N pods on mine if that makes a difference.

Comment

Hi guys,

This is usually a sign of leaks in the air intake system. Cracked fuel/vacuum hoses, carb boots, O-rings, sealed airbox, etc.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The other thing Cliff forgot to mention is to give the bikes a good tune. It could be the things Cliff mentioned, but if it is not one of those issues then it could be the same problem I had with my bike.

My bike had VM carbs so I adjusted the air screws to let less air into the carbs and it worked a treat. No more idling problems after that. Too much air or differing amounts of air to each inlet tract will cause this problem. Probably a good idea to do a vacuum synch and then adjust the idle screws for highest rpm and finally set the idle speed on the large knob/screw.

Comment

Common causes are as Cliff and Don mentioned: intake air leak (carb boot O-rings are common source), pilot mixture too lean, carb sync.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok. I will take a look at the boots first.

I have a stock airbox and filter
                To my knowledge stock jetting
                4 into 1 header with super trapp slipon.

Could just my exhaust make me run lean. I wouldn't think so, but I have read plenty on here that the intake system are very touchy.

Thanks guys, if you think of anything else please let me know.

Comment

Make sure you throttle cable isn't sticking.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X