Dropped socket into engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped socket into engine

DAMMNIT. While readjusting the valves on my GSX400 engine, the ball on my ratchet decides to stop working and it dropped the 9mm socket down the center of the head into the chain/crankshaft area. What do I do!?

can't hurt

Try a magnetic pickup stick from the top or drop the pan and try and dis lodge it that way.

Comment

Yea, try a magnetic pickup stick on it.

Too late now, but close off any area large enough for tools to drop thru when you do this kind of work. I just stuff some clean rags in them, becasue as you now know - **** happens.

Comment

I bought a flexible $7 pickup tool and it got it. Thanks god. I was so ****ed off when it happend. I am Jack's worst enemy.

Comment

Well done! Ain't it great when that initial sense of panic is overcome by superior intellect!

Comment

Good job, now plug those holes when wrenching on the top end.

Comment

A guy on the ZRX forum put his engine back together after a
              valve shim job and forgot about the rag in the cam chain tunnel,
              till after the test ride. Turned out to be a very costly mistake.

Comment

Glad you got it out OK. Next time just turn the bike upside down and give it a shake.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXXZRX View Post
                  A guy on the ZRX forum put his engine back together after a
                  valve shim job and forgot about the rag in the cam chain tunnel,
                  till after the test ride. Turned out to be a very costly mistake.
                  Are you suggesting it's a bad idea or just noting there's idiots out there?

Comment

I think his point is that not everything is fool proof and that sometimes **** happens.

Granted I would think that a lot more people drop bolts into their engine cavities than forget about a rag

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                      I think his point is that not everything is fool proof and that sometimes **** happens.

Granted I would think that a lot more people drop bolts into their engine cavities than forget about a rag
                      I suppose you gotta' be smarter than the rag.

Don't use a small one and stuff it down the cam chain tunnel to where it's hard to see. Get a nice big one (rags are cheap) and lay it over the tunnel in such a way that it blocks anything from falling in. It's then literally impossible to miss when you bolt on the valve cover.

I can't believe I'm going into more detail on this. I guess that's why mechanics make money.

Anyway, glad you fished it out. Those can be a bear.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
                        Glad you got it out OK. Next time just turn the bike upside down and give it a shake.

now that would be something I'd pay to see!

Comment

I use an old sock. Just the right length.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why can't you just buy another socket?
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                              Why can't you just buy another socket?

I wouldn't want a socket banging around the inside of my engine.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X