Front fork refinishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork refinishing

I've decided to polish up my front forks before putting them back on the bike after replacing the steering head bearings. I have polished the forks using various grades of polishing compound and a buffing wheel. They look great but I realize that most of the clear finish is now gone and I'm down to bare aluminum. Can the clear coat be replaced with anything or will I have to keep on polishing the bare metal to keep it looking good. If I spray on a clear coat, will it stay clear or eventually yellow after a few years. Can anyone recommend a clear coat product? Thanks again....

Unfortunately there seems to be no clear laquer on the market, that sticks well to aluminum; at least that's what the paint Gurus told me.
    Instead, I used a professional aluminum primer, repainted the forks with aluminum paint and finished it with a two component clear coat as used on cars.
    It has been sitting for over two years now, and it still looks good.

Comment

Don't use clear coat on the polished forks.
      It will dampen the polished appearance and darken/turn yellow with age.

I've polished my USD forks and apart from regular washing of the bike I go over them with some polish two, maybe three times per summer.

The story's on my site under modifications/USD.

Comment

They sure do look good JoJo!! Wish mine looked that good.Want to do mine for me??

Comment

Forget lacquer, but you CAN use other clear coats, like two-part catalyzed urethanes. There is a one-component spray from Eastwood that has gotten good reviews.

I did mine with a one-component spray from PJ. It's turned just a little yellow, but not bad...after 13 years.

Comment

I've polished a lot of aluminum lately and have used Dupli Colors Clear High Temp Ceramic. Hasn't yellowed nor cracked and still looks like it did when I put it on 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
            X