tire change frustrations---tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I don't know, there's just something about the desire to measure value in terms of beer that scares me.

Why not use a FUN liquid, like GAS. 15 bucks is about two tanks of gas ... more riding!!!

(You just can't convince me that consuming 30 beers is fun.)

ha. i was actually just kidding about the beer stuff, kind of, i am off the sauce currently. im gonna stick with ru-glyde for lube, seeing as how i have a gallon of it.... and i will get a new tube today. ok, im going in.....

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      Or a trip to the hospital to get your fingers put back on.
      Never drink and ride, its bad ju ju. Took the car most of the time, park it at the house and walk to the bar. Things are quite different now than they were when these bikes were new.

Frankly just working our normal 68 hour week would keep me off the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
        How about a compromise, 1 tank of gas and just 15 beers!
        tell me where you're riding so I can avoid it!!

Comment

Originally posted by C.V. View Post
          tell me where you're riding so I can avoid it!!
          ok, ok, lets not get too off topic here. no helmets, chains rule, any old motor oil, high octane gas, harleys rule.....oh, and whatever politics you like, im against. that covers that.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

I just did a tube on my yamaha. I have a harbor freight tire changer machine that holds the tire. It came with a long rod for installing the tire on the wheel, but kept popping out for the last 7 inches or so. I used a K-L tire pry tool that pulled the tire over the last few inches. Worked for me.

Links
            tire tool

Harbor Freight tire stand

Motorcycle tire adapter

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Work opposite the valve stem, it can get trapped under the beads. Tube half inflated. Make sure both beads opposite where you are working are in the center channel! This makes a huge difference.

Comment

I have the Harbor Freight setup too, I use baby powder on the tube, ruglide on the tire and inflate it for a few days to get the wrinkles out of it. After its all on hit it with some air a few times easy and let it out. Double check that the tube is clear and air it up. The strap technique most definetly works on tubeless tires, no BS there, its amazing !I had 8 tires to mount and the dealer wanted $35 each so I bought the tire machine instead, not perfect but better then razzling them on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                  well, guys, i've been trying to put my shiny new avons on the gs.

tried the 'lash strap technique' pictured on bikecliffs site and detailed at the advriders forum....i call BULL**** on that technique. there is just no way it is that easy, unless the tire is, in fact, an inch larger than the rim.

so i got some tire spoons and some ru-glyde. and....

promptly pinched the tube, putting a lovely hole in the brand new butyl rubber.

so. now, i either

patch the tube and try it again, being more careful,

buy a new tube and try it again,

or just give up and bring my wheels to the shop, and hang my head in shame at the defeat of the first job on my gs i have been unable to do myself.

oh, did i mention it was almost 70 degrees here today?!?

any suggestions on how to proceed, guys?

I see your bike is a 78 GS750 which is the same as mine. I put new Dunlop tubless tires on my alloy wheels and used no tubes with no problems.
                  GS750GUY

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                    I just did a tube on my yamaha. I have a harbor freight tire changer machine that holds the tire. It came with a long rod for installing the tire on the wheel, but kept popping out for the last 7 inches or so. I used a K-L tire pry tool that pulled the tire over the last few inches. Worked for me.

Links
                    tire tool

<snip>
                    I took a look at that tool, and can't quite figure out how you are supposed to use it ... how does it work

(I'll probably end up saying "D'oh" as soon as it's explained to me)

Comment

Working...
                    X