Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 vs 750

Ola,

I currently own a GS650EX and its in great condition.
    I've found a GS750EX for sale at a decent price and its in *great* condition...

Other than the looks, is there really much difference between the two bikes?
    How much different can 100cc's make?

Me wanna learn some

on a closer look, and comparison to suzukicylces.org I'm not sure that it is a GS750EX...

can anyone identify this model?
    the square headlight and cam covers, along with the grab bar are throwing me off

Comment

The 750 is a larger and heavier bike. Depends on what you want.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It is definatly a 4 valve 80-82 model, lots more power than your 650.
        My '82 came with anti dive, that one doesnt, could it be a US import?
        Im not sure what year they put anti dive on canadian models.
        Only way to tell for sure is to see it in person and check the steering head plate.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

My 81 didn't have anti-dive...praise the Lord.

You're looking at about 15 more hp, 25 more lbs, and a bike with more potential.

Comment

...and, yeah, that's an '81-era 750.

Comment

apparently suzukicyckes has it under their GSX page...

can anybody rant or rave about these bikes?
              any problems i should know about, or things to double check before i buy?

Comment

Well...issues with mine:

Stator sucks. New RM stator on the way.
                R/R sucks. F4i R/R on the way.
                Front suspension sucks. Replaced with FZR600.
                Rear suspension sucks. Replaced with Showa pieces.
                Petcock sucks. Replaced with RMX250 petcock.
                Gauges suck. Replaced with TrailTech Vapor.
                Wheels suck. Replaced with GS500/FZR600.
                Seat sucks. Dunno yet.
                Tank sucks. Also dunno yet.

Engines seem pretty good, though.

Comment

Fun bike!

Hi Mr. iDodgimus,

Last September I was in Indiana for the MotoBP. Mr. Griffin lent me his GS750E (16v motor) for the week. Mr. Griffin keeps his bikes very well maintained. That GS750E was a hoot to ride. It is 100 lbs lighter than my bike but only slightly less power. The first time I put it on the center stand I almost threw it across the garage.

Some of you may notice that Mr. Griffin replaced the square headlight with a round one. I think it looks better too.

Thanks Brett!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Some of you may notice that Mr. Griffin replaced the square headlight with a round one. I think it looks better too.
                    i love the train headlights.

Comment

While the 750's are 747cc, the 650's are 673cc. A 650 actually has a little more oomph than it appears. A difference of only 74cc's.
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I saw that bike, I was impressed!

I wish BC was a bit more realistic about insurance, I just cant justify going over 400cc right now...

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                          My 81 didn't have anti-dive...praise the Lord.

You're looking at about 15 more hp, 25 more lbs, and a bike with more potential.
                          actualy the 750 has 6 more HP and carries 24 more pounds. the 80-82 750 is a bit of a pig size wise as it is pretty much the same size as the 1100.

it will be a bit faster but the 650 is more nimble.

the 650 is a healthy engine.

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                            I saw that bike, I was impressed!

I wish BC was a bit more realistic about insurance, I just cant justify going over 400cc right now...
                            you did? you were?
                            if i did decide to pick it up i'd be putting the pin striping back on it so as to qualify for collectors insurance.

man, i'm in a pickle... i was all set to get some progressive shocks and steel brake lines for my 650 when this showed up and threw me off...

my brother's coming out to visit in june y'see and i thought instead of renting a bike, we could buy a cheap one (<2k) and either keep or sell one of them at a later date. maybe if there's not so much difference between this and the one i have then it's not really worth it tho... there is an 83 1100G (immaculate condition, 60k kms) up for grabs for 3K but that's getting a little high i think...

oh what to do...

am i right in thinking its essentially the same frame as an 850? Hardware for an 850 seems more common than my 650 (crash bars etc)
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: added a question

Comment

Originally posted by iDodgimus View Post
                              you did? you were?
                              if i did decide to pick it up i'd be putting the pin striping back on it so as to qualify for collectors insurance.

man, i'm in a pickle... i was all set to get some progressive shocks and steel brake lines for my 650 when this showed up and threw me off...

my brother's coming out to visit in june y'see and i thought instead of renting a bike, we could buy a cheap one (<2k) and either keep or sell one of them at a later date. maybe if there's not so much difference between this and the one i have then it's not really worth it tho... there is an 83 1100G (immaculate condition, 60k kms) up for grabs for 3K but that's getting a little high i think...

oh what to do...

am i right in thinking its essentially the same frame as an 850? Hardware for an 850 seems more common than my 650 (crash bars etc)
                              sorry, read my own post and it is misleading, I saw the AD for that bike, looks nice.

having said that I need a bike to commute to work with and insurance doubles the second you go over 400cc

collectors is out as you cant even drive to work ONCE

although I have a soft spot for the small cc bikes, keep the 650!

Comment

Working...
                              X