Cam chain tensioner adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner adjustment

I own a 1982 GS1100E, and there seems to be some unusual noise from the engine. My friend told me it was cam chain noise and that the tension needed to be adjusted. Is there an easy way to do this without sending it to the shop. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

The cam chain tensioner on the GS1100s is automatic and should adjust itself using spring tension. If it's frozen you'll have to remove it and give it a good cleaning. I don't think the procedure for doing that will fit in here but if you need to go down that path then see if you can find a copy of the Suzuki manual.

There is a quick check that you can do however. There's a lock nut and screw on the left side of the tensioner. The screw will lock the spring loaded piston in place in the event that the tensioner needs to be removed, thus stopping it flying across the garage. 8O First thing I'd do is make sure the screw isn't locked down. Start by loosening the lock nut and then check the screw. If adjusted correctly it should be 1/4 to 1/2 turn out from snug. Don't try turning the knob on the other side since this may damage the tensioner mechanism.

If that isn't the problem then you're gonna have to yank that thing off. If the cam chain IS really loose then nasty things might happen. Try not to ride the bike until you've got it sorted out.

Comment

there are several threads on how to do this on here, use the search feature. it is a pretty straighforward and easy job to do. :twisted:

Comment

With the tensioner removed from the cylinder block loosen the lock nut on the left side of the tensioner and back the slotted bolt out ? turn. Turn the knob on the right side of the tensioner, which in the Suzuki service manual is called a lock shaft handle, counterclock-wise. As you are turning the knob counterclock-wise push the pushrod all the way back. Keep turning the knob until it refuses to turn any further.

With the pushrod still pushed in as far as it will go tighten the slotted bolt so that the pushrod will not plunge out.

Remount the tensioner to the cylinder block. If the tensioner is not going in turn the crankshaft clockwise slowly to get slack in the cam chain on the intake side of the block.

Loosen the slotted bolt ? turn allowing the pushrod to advance towards the cam chain. Tighten the lock nut but leave the slotted bolt loose by that ? turn.

While turning the knob counterclock-wise, slowly rotate the crankshaft in reverse direction, counterclock-wise. This causes the chain to push the pushrod back.

Release the knob and slowly turn the crankshaft in the normal direction, clockwise. You should see the knob rotate as the chain becomes progressively slackened. If it does the pushrod is obviously moving forward under spring pressure signifying the tensioner is in good operable condition. If it moves sluggishly or not at all that means the pushrod or the slotted bolt is sticking. If so remove the tensioner from the block again and inspect the pushrod. It could need cleaning or could be bent or galled. Further crank rotation will take the slack out of the cam chain.

Comment

Working...
        X