found the problem...finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

found the problem...finally

Been chasing an intermitent idle problem and missing problem for sometime now on an 82 750T. Kept thinking carbs/fuel problem since I had them apart. Even though it ran fine intially problem started to get worse and was sporadic.

Darkened my shop turned on the bike and noticed #1/4 coil was leaking where the lead goes in to the coil. Would arc occasionally to frame at idle but more as rpm's increased.

How do I fix it? RTV on coil lead where it goes in to the coil and then more insulation on lead or ?

If the coil is cracked, it will only get worse. RTV over the crack might keep you going until your new coil gets there, but you need a new coil.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

take a look

The best I can tell the arc is coming from the lead close to the coil

Comment

You can search for ways of replacing the leads by digging them out and sealing new ones in with epoxy. You can put innertubing between the coil and the frame to prevent the short. You can wrap it thouroughly and carefully with silicone self sealing tape. Or you can buy a new or used coil.
        If it is arcing the lead already has more resistance than it should have, and this may compromise your spark.
        S.

Comment

Working...
        X