Shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock question

Has anyone ever had any experience with these?

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
    Has anyone ever had any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
    If you're asking about experience with those shocks on a GS then I'll warn you about a few things.
    Most of the GSes take around a 13" shock and you'll have to check whether you're bike uses the eyelet or clevis lower mount. And you might want to elaborate on your question.
    The price is right but that's a 14.5" shock and you can match up the exact shock for your GS, new for the same price.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Problem is I am going with a cafe style on my 81 GS750, and I was having clearance issues before I made any mods to the bike.
      Now after a few mods tail section battery relocate etc. I am really having clearance issues.
      Also not helping the the situation I am 6'5" and weigh a little over 290 lbs.
      So I was thinking an extra 1" or 1 1/2" ?? give or take wouldnt be that bad.
      I dont have a center stand anymore.
      Cant think of any other reason why not?

Comment

Yes.
        I bought some to put on my '81 GS750L. From here... http://www.partsnmore.com/ Perhaps a little less expensive. They only charge $5.00 shipping within the lower 48 states.

They were eye to clevis, just what I wanted. However, the mounting bolts on my bike are 12 1/4 in apart, or approx 310mm. These shocks are 13 in from hole to hole, or 335mm. They would not fit. They've since been sold to someone who can use them. But my mistake made me a little angry.

Never got the chance to ride with them, but I hear they are somewhat stiffer than most would prefer. I wish I could find a pair of eye to clevis, 310mm shocks in the same price range........
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Not meaning to hijack.....but as long as we're talking shocks.....what are the opinions on these.

Discover YSS Suspension, Thailand's leading motorcycle suspension brand. Elevate your ride with our innovative products like the PD Valve Fork Emulator and Fork Cartridge Kits. Trusted in over 30 countries, YSS promises unmatched comfort, control, and precision for every journey. Experience the difference today.

Looks like I can get them in the correct length, 310mm, chrome springs with different rates available, shroud covers and different eyelet sizes for the top mount. I don't know what the top eyelet measurement is for my bike, but one of them should surely fit. $179.00 + shipping.

Has anybody rode with these ?
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Not meaning to hijack.....but as long as we're talking shocks.....what are the opinions on these.

Discover YSS Suspension, Thailand's leading motorcycle suspension brand. Elevate your ride with our innovative products like the PD Valve Fork Emulator and Fork Cartridge Kits. Trusted in over 30 countries, YSS promises unmatched comfort, control, and precision for every journey. Experience the difference today.

Looks like I can get them in the correct length, 310mm, chrome springs with different rates available, shroud covers and different eyelet sizes for the top mount. I don't know what the top eyelet measurement is for my bike, but one of them should surely fit. $179.00 + shipping.

Has anybody rode with these ?
            Good find. Did a quick search and it looks like they get high marks and are on par with Works Performance and White Power when it comes to their upper end stuff for less money. The ones you picked out will probably be on par with Progressives. Quality control at YSS is supposed to be top notch with guys from White Power, Wilburs, and Technoflex.

Comment

On a related note.

Anyone know the proper shock lenght for a GK? I have read both 12.5" and 13"

Thanks

Lou

Comment

Larry D when you say they would not fit could you elaborate a little more?
                They would not bolt up or they were just a little long.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Good find. Did a quick search and it looks like they get high marks and are on par with Works Performance and White Power when it comes to their upper end stuff for less money. The ones you picked out will probably be on par with Progressives. Quality control at YSS is supposed to be top notch with guys from White Power, Wilburs, and Technoflex.
                  Thanks Billy.
                  I may have to talk to my financial advisor about these.....
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    Thanks Billy.
                    I may have to talk to my financial advisor about these.....
                    I know I have to have that talk sometime soon too. Paint and headwork on the drawing board.

Comment

Well crap.
                      I sent an email to YSS. here's their response. Keep in mind, his application list is wrong. My shocks are 310mm in length with the bike on the centerstand.
                      Can anyone verify the clevis spacing ?

Hi Larry,
                      Thank you for your interest in our YSS shocks.

My application list says the GS 750 L shock for the 81’ model is 335 mm long – you may want to check your OEM shocks by measuring when the rear wheel is off the ground, or with the shock removed from the bike.
                      Yes, I know the Suzuki has the clevis bottom mount.
                      The BRAVO shocks that I have in stock however do have a clevis with 20 mm width and you need 22 mm, so that will not fit.

The only set of shocks that I can build for you are the RE 302 T model shocks in the length you want and with the correct clevis.
                      The price is $ 299.00 + shipping.

Regards
                      Klaus Huenecke
                      732-786-9777
                      Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

So just so I am clear they were a little long and the clevis on the bottom didnt fit.

Comment

UHmmm.....no or yes. Not sure what you're asking but here's the scoop for my bike. Measure your bike because they vary model to model.

Our friend at YSS is incorrect. His application list says that my '81 GS 750 L shocks are 335mm in length. That's wrong, they are 310mm.
                          He also says that the clevis for my lower shock mount is 22mm in width. All he has in those Bravo shocks is a 20mm clevis width.

I'm not home right now to measure the width of the clevis mount on my bike. But, I'll know later tonight when I get home.
                          Larry D
                          1980 GS450S
                          1981 GS450S
                          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                          X