Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L Starts and runs then stops and doesn't start again

Edit with more details

1980 GS550L. 9,000 miles and jsut picked up for $200 =)

Ok, my first problem I had was starting it at all. After looking at the different options, it was discovered the air filter foam had been turned into a solid. That was quickly changed and it started to run.

Now this brings up another problem I am having. I can get it to start off and on but not 100% all the time. If it is idling for awhile it tends to stop off and on. Part of me thinks it is the fact that the engine isn't getting enough gas, but I am still able to take it out and ride it around every so often with no problems.

Once the bike stops running, I hit the start button and it turns over but there it doesn't want to run. All four plugs have spark and all cylinder are firing when it is running.

The carb was cleaned last year, but it sat with gas in it over the winter. I am kind of out of ideas. The last thing it could be is I filled it with the super unleaded gas, which caused one other GS owner issues, but I am not too sure that this is the problem.

Edit: One more thing the plugs seem to be sort of greyish in color leading me to believe that the mixture of gas and air is really lean. How do you adjust that? Is it a simple thing or is it best done with someone with some experience?

Can anyone think what the problem could be. I wanna fix this myself, but if need be I guess I can take it into the shop.

Thanks

Thanks,

Shameless bump to point out the added detail.

Comment

Hello...

This may be a solution to your problem... (instead of getting too much gas, you may be getting too much air...)

When my 1100 had problems keeping itself running, I discovered that the problem was air leaks in the rubber intake pipes that go between the carbs and the engine. I could start the bike up, but it had problems idling and running and would run very poorly and stall when idling.

The test I used to discover if I really had the problem was to take a can of "starting fluid" (costs $1.97 for "Thrust" brand at your friendly local auto parts store, you don't need anything more expensive). Highly flammable, handle with care!

Elevate the gas tank so you can get around the carbs. Start the engine, get it to idle, and then spray a little starting fluid at the pipes between the carbs and the top of the engine. If the engine speeds up when you do this, you have leaky intake pipes, and need to replace them, cost around $90 for all four (ouch!) when I did this repair 2 years ago.

Comment

Update: She is running fine now. She was getting too much air. The foam I used to replaced the old filter on the Air Filter was too open and allowing too much air into the engine. I replaced it with a thicker less porus foam and she has never sounded better. No more choking and no more stutters. Thanks for the idea about the air flow. Again, the air filter was the source of my problem. thanks for the help guys. You are making things for this new GS owner really easy.

Comment

Id like to add that WD-40 used in moderation is a lil (not a whole lot )safer than Starting fluid, also it doesnt allow it to rev which could also be dangerous that close ( carb backfire) what it does is bog the engine down and it will actually stall if too much is used.

Comment

Working...
          X