Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake boot advice

Hey again guys,
    I want to replace my intake boots. Would you buy them used from E-bay? Found these

Logic tells me replacing 30 yr old boots with 30 yr old boots is silly, although they look better than mine, and he claims they are soft and working fine... But the price is nice...

I realize I'd be better off with new, but the cost is pretty high. Maybe replacing them 2 at a time with new would be better? Just hunting for opinions... thanks gents.

Honestly they don't look bad. When they get old and brittle they get shiny looking. And when you look at the bolt hole area the rubber starts looking pretty bad. His show a little wear there but not bad. If you can get a few years out of them they are worth it if you can get the set for $25-30.

Comment

I was always told, "Buy smart, buy once" basically meaning, if you do your research and make a reasonable choice, most of the time it will pay off in the long run. You COULD take a chance on these, and they could work perfectly fine for you. Or you get them and they're junk...and you still have to spend the money to get new ones, the only difference is now you're lost the $20 or whatever you end up paying for these ones off ebay.
      It's your choice. I'm in the exact same position, and just got back from the Suzuki Dealer where I spent $183.33 on 4 new boots and 4 new o-rings. I'm a student so I can't really afford to throw money away, but I also can't really afford to gamble unless I'm sure it's going to work out.
      Personally I would (and did) go with the new ones.
      Besides, people will try to sell just about anything on ebay...even if it's not worth it

Comment

Not to hijack, but... speaking of intake boots, if you have the ones without o-rings, do you guys suggest using any kind of non-drying gasket maker on the spacers or boots?

Atchbo.

Comment

Originally posted by atchbo View Post
          Not to hijack, but... speaking of intake boots, if you have the ones without o-rings, do you guys suggest using any kind of non-drying gasket maker on the spacers or boots?

Atchbo.
          Just good clamps.

Comment

I am running ebay boots currently. I had two that were toast and paid less than $15 for a set of four shipped to my door. Would I do it again, yes if the seller seems genuine and necessity comes into play. I will gamble a little on used parts if I feel good about the description; these boots listed sound good.

As always, buyers beware. You will get burnt on some items but even new stuff can be defective.

Comment

Originally posted by cp___32 View Post
              I was always told, "Buy smart, buy once" basically meaning, if you do your research and make a reasonable choice, most of the time it will pay off in the long run. You COULD take a chance on these, and they could work perfectly fine for you. Or you get them and they're junk...and you still have to spend the money to get new ones, the only difference is now you're lost the $20 or whatever you end up paying for these ones off ebay.
              It's your choice. I'm in the exact same position, and just got back from the Suzuki Dealer where I spent $183.33 on 4 new boots and 4 new o-rings. I'm a student so I can't really afford to throw money away, but I also can't really afford to gamble unless I'm sure it's going to work out.
              Personally I would (and did) go with the new ones.
              Besides, people will try to sell just about anything on ebay...even if it's not worth it

Dude, you need to go to school on how to save some money. Flatoutmotorcycles.com has boots for $21 each, O-rings are $1.17 each.

Can you go back and cancel the order? Your dealer is ripping you off big time.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The inner boots get more heat, and thus the outer boots would be more usable. If you trust the seller, the worst case is that you'd at least get two that you could use for a while.

Personally, I'd spend the bucks for new and get it over with -- I hate doing things twice. But I understand that sometimes that just ain't happening.

When I was in college, I rode to class for a couple of weeks by putting a new coat of blue silicone sealer on the carb boots every evening (On the KZ650 I used to have). Gasoline vapor dissolves silicone pretty quickly, but I kept patching them up until I scraped together a few bucks. Not a really good idea -- it still started running like crap pretty quickly even on the short ride to campus, but I didn't really have any options.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Opted out of the auction, i'll wait till i can afford new. Strangely, E-bay suspended my account today for "serious security issues" I didn't even bid! I rarely use ebay, i find this very odd.

Comment

Careful... could be some kind of Phishing deal! I've had spam like that before....

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Careful... could be some kind of Phishing deal! I've had spam like that before....

Dan
                      Yeah, somethings up, i can't log in now. I didn't enter any info from the e-mail link, i went directly to ebay. I need to contact them. Now i'm worried about my paypal, linked to the ebay account...time to change passwords! Fvckin' people, what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Dude, you need to go to school on how to save some money. Flatoutmotorcycles.com has boots for $21 each, O-rings are $1.17 each.

Can you go back and cancel the order? Your dealer is ripping you off big time.
                        Unfortunately I'm Canadian...so by the time I pay conversion, shipping, taxes and duty....well...being Canadian is ripping me off :P
                        Didn't I read somewhere that our carbs were set up a little better than the US ones becasue we didn't have emissions restrictions on them? Guess that's a small victory :P

Comment

You have richer jets & adjustable needles when EPA fixed the US ones... Kind of easy to work around though
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X