removing the chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing the chain

What is the easiest way to take the chain off my bike so I can swap swing arms?
    Cheers,
    Shaun

Easiest is to remove the joining link, if it doesnt have a joining link buy or borrow a "chain breaker".
    Dink

Comment

I did not have to break the chain in order to remove the swing arm on my 1981 GS550L. I had the rear wheel/axel off, removed the swing arm pivot bolt completely and the swing arm came out easily.

Comment

You don't need to break the chain if you are taking the swingarm off. Once the swingarm is removed, the chain can be taken off unbroken.

Hap

Comment

Hap's got it right. Remove the swingarm and the chain just has to be lifted off the front sprocket and pulled out with the swingarm.

Comment

??

I am somewhat confused. How do I remove the swingarm without first removing the chain? If the chain is attached to the rear wheel is there enough free play to unhook everything?
            Cheers,
            Shaun

Comment

Pull the axle and let the wheel drop to the floor. Roll it forward to get enough slack in the chain to pull it off the sprocket.

Comment

Once the wheel is off loosen the bolts that hold the swing arm. remove the through bolt then the swing arm should pull free. Just loop it out of the chain and it will be clear.

Comment

Working...
                X