Need an opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need an opinion

I have a chance to buy a set of new Avon Vanoms real cheep.

130/70R/18 they are both front tires.

Here is my question can you mount those on 2.15 stock spoked rims with out pinching them to much?

Has anyone done this I am a little concerned because they are suck a low profile.

What bike is it with an 18" front wheel?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Not yet but I am going to relace a stock 18" rear rim to the front hub so they are the same size. The bike is a 1981 gs750.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
        Not yet but I am going to relace a stock 18" rear rim to the front hub so they are the same size. The bike is a 1981 gs750.
        UUHhhmmmmm....okay. Why ? What model, "E" or "L" ?

Mr Suzuki spent many hours of engineering getting the steering properties correct on these bikes. Doesn't sound to safe to me. But hey, it's your bike and your neck on the line.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

130/70 is too wide for a 2.15 rim.

120/90 is about the biggest you can get on.

You'll just distort the tire profile and handling will suffer.

Plus, with a 70 ratio sidewall, it will be a challenge to get it on the rim.

You might want to consider wider front fork and a wider rim if you're trying for a custom look
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did anybody else pick up on the R in there? They are radial tires.

Putting the 130 tire on a 2.15 rim is bad enough, but a radial ...? Nah, I wouldn't do it.

Do you also have some radial tubes located to put in there? Your spoked wheels are gonna need tubes.

You said they are both front tires. You going to put two front tires on your bike?
            If you do, make sure to turn the one on the rear so it rotates against the direction arrow.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Okay kinda figured I was pushing the limits with the low profile and style tire.
              It was just a good deal $60.00 each was just looking for a second opinion.

The reason I am changing to a 18" front is mostly for a custom look and a slightly lower front end as far as the handling goes I didnt think they handled all that well to begin with, 80s technology on a heavy underpowered bike. Cant get much worse.

Just trying to find a good tire that is for a spoked rim and can run the same front and back. I have seen some that are rated front or rear just not finding exactly what I want.

Comment

Just as an FYI If you are trying to lower the bike going to the 18" but increasing the tire size it may not get you where you want. Looking at the tire data for the Avon Venom as a reference: the diameter of a 100/90-19 (original front rim) is 26.1" and going to a 120/90-18 (rear rim moved to the front with larger tire) the diameter is 26.5" so it will in effect raise the front of your bike by .2" (the difference in radii).

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                  I didnt think they handled all that well to begin with, 80s technology on a heavy underpowered bike. Cant get much worse.

By your theory, making a poor handling bike handle even worse is asking for serious problems

By my theory, lotsa 600 squids see nothing but my tail light. Handling is just fine for real world riding.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                  X