No announcement yet.

81 gs 1100 same problems over and over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you a minnesotan too? well i was just out side looking at it and i found the R/R and it is under my left side cover bolted to a real thin peice of steal and if the white and black wire is suppose to be the ground i dont get how that works to me it looks like it runs out of the R/R does a loop and goes right behind it. i dont see how it would get a good ground on that thin peice of steal so i will ground it toomorow and test it. dave i was asking you if you were the minnesotan. if you are were are you located at?

Comment

Go back and check!!!!!!! http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      complete with pictures !!!! It's a very simple system and easy to test!!!
      Get a 78-82 Honda Regulator EBAY is the best place. DO not buy SUzuki reg
      Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

ok guys well i just found bass cliffs sight and that is great i should be able to get my system checked out with no problem thanks for all the work bass cliff. i dont konw if it is stock or some one else did it but all my electirc parts are mounted to thin steel witch looks stock right under my left side cover.

Comment

My $0.02

While having "all" of your connectors in tip top shape is important, there are really only 5 paths that HAVE to be rock solid to get proper charging.

First the three stator legs should go direct to the R/R. Soldering the connections will minimize any losses and fight corrosion. At least replace the bullets with spades and make sure they dont get hot.

Second as describe the rubber mounted side plate doesn't provide a very good ground so make sure that there is a direct connection by daisy chaining the negative ring lug to the case of the R/R and then to the neg side of the battery (about 12" of wire).

Finally and this is often overlooked, the positive output needs to have a low impedance drop to the positive side. MANY TIMES when you see a drop in battery voltage as RPM increase there is too much resistance between the R/R + and the + side of the battery. The resistance could be in a connection or in the in the fuse box. Run a straight jumper from R/R+ to + side of the battery to see if it fixes the problem. If you want to make that permanent put an in line fuse with it. Else wise find where teh resistance is.

I'm 90% sure this will fix your problems. If not then something is broke and needs replacing (e.g. R/R). If that is the problem grap a Honda 6 wire unit.

U should be able to pass the stator pages with flying colors after this.

Pos

Comment

If you can work on SBC than you can work on these bikes.
            Get a multimeter and read this slowly and carefully. Do not skim through it.
            stator papers http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
            Last edited by chef1366; 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by sean doan View Post
              and what was that leas and moto stuff?
              Dude......Yes, Im in MN. Lakeville. On the south side of the twin cities by Buck hill ski area. Take I35 south past Buck hill and exit on to cnty rd 46. There you will find Leos south (Kaw,Suz,Aprilla,BMW) Moto Primo (Honda,Yam,KTM) South Metro HD (all things Harly) and a custom chopper shop called Ghost Rider. This is a gathering spot for many motorcycle groups and rides all summer long. I live right there.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X