Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help - fuel dripping

Hey all,
    Everythings back together and painted. But I still have fuel dripping from the drain on the bottom of the black air canister between the carbs and the airbox. It is a slow drip when the engine is running and right after the engine is shut off. What are all the possibilities? Which would be the easiest to start troubleshooting with?
    Thanks!

sounds like floats.. did you check their levels?

Comment

Not sure what work you've done on the bike. It could also be a float valve sticking.

Michael

Comment

I just had the same problem with a 81 GS1000G that sat for 15 years (WITH gas in the carbs) after cleaning & reasembly it leaked as described.
        I pulled off the air cleaner ans saw which carbs where leaking. Then (suspecting floats) pulled the bowls off and manually held the floats closed & turned on the fuel. No leak... checked the float operation, seemed fine. When replacing the gaskets on the bowl I noticed that the gasket COULD be flipped and the Holes on the internal journal on the edge of the bowl didn't align properly with the gasket flipped. I reassembled & everything was fine. I'M NOT SURE WHAT the problem was. but that fixed it & may give you gurus a clue if it isn't simply sticking floats.

goodluck!

Comment

the floats arn't sticking or sinking, which I know can cause the same problem. The needle jet is not worn. Will leaving the fuel petcock on "prime" cause this? I leave it on prime because the vacume from the carbs pulls fuel through the petcock vacume line...diaphram is shot...I know...
          thanks for your help

Comment

similiar problem

I've been told it was the floats also. And I also have been avoiding the "touching of the pet cock"http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif. It stays in prime. Evil little thing, stinky and costly...shame shame

Comment

Some guys like to stand up and say "Hit me!"

Please don't be one of them.

You already know you have a problem with the petcock, so FIX IT!

YES! Leaving the petcock on PRIme will contribute to the problem.

Note.....contribute.

There IS a problem with your floats or there is a problem with your description. (maybe both)

If the checks were done while the bike was parked, and on the sidestand only, your floats may be OK, as the fuel level does not always cause a firm closing of the valves (needles/seats) while the bike is kept on an angle, but if the problems described happened while you were driving the bike, then the floats, seats and needles MUST be re-examined.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

anyone know about how much a carb rebuild would cost at a shop? I know every shop is different, but does anyone have any idea?
                Thanks

Comment

I don't know shop costs, but it won't be cheap. Sounds to me like the petcock is more of a problem than the carbs. Before you shell out the $$$ for a mechanic, try this:

Go to the hardware store and get an on/off valve for a small motor, such as a lawnmower. I got one at my local hardware store for about five bucks. Install it on the fuel line between the petcock and the carbs. If you've got a petcock stuck in prime thats "on" all the time, you can close it this way. If you still have dripping gas, the problem's in the carbs, as the guys above have mentioned. But this is an easy way to find out, and its a lot cheaper. Deal with the petcock first.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X