Petcock O-ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock O-ring question

Does anyone sell just the o-ring that goes on the petcock lever? I can't rationalize buying a whole petcock rebuild kit when just the o-ring is leaking. I'm hoping that someone did the same as the guy selling manifold o-rings....bought a bunch and is selling them one at a time.
    Thanks.
    Willie in TN
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Dealer - get the disc thing that goes behind the lever also. Pretty cheap

Also try flatout or Z1
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you know the size you could try mcmaster carr or even your local hardware store. Maybe someone on this forum has one lying around.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I was just thinking and thought I'd ask.....I stated that I couldn't rationalize buying a whole rebuild kit just to get the o-ring but should gas be getting to the o-ring IF the rubber disc with the holes isn't worn out? Maybe I need a kit afterall. Hmmmmmm.
        Willie in TN

Present Stable includes:

Comment

If you can scrounge up the cash, you should just get a whole new petcock and not worry about it for 20 years or so.....I know they're pricey, but a problem petcock is, well........a problem.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hardware store O-rings don't resist gasoline. You need O-rings made of special rubber such as nitrile. Not many hardware stores sell those.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
              Hardware store O-rings don't resist gasoline. You need O-rings made of special rubber such as nitrile. Not many hardware stores sell those.
              Plus it's a flat profile, not a round one.

Mine have leaked periodically over the 30 years I've owned my bike, evidenced by gas on the petcock face
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not sure what type of petcock you are refering to but have a look here:

I also found that Suzuki still sells the o-ring around the petcock lever at about $3 as well as the thick rubber with the 4 holes behind the lever, also about $3. Diaphram is not listed, nor the spring.
                The o-ring is actually a u-type hollow seal and not solid rubber.(on the GS1000G 1980)
                Order a kit from Georgefix on ebay, he sells K&L kits made in Japan and they work very well unless the petcock body itself is worn.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: kit name corrected

Comment

I'll drop by the local dealer and see if they have any o-rings in stock. If they're still available I'd expect them to have a few since they're so cheap to stock. I didn't think they were available because they weren't listed on any of the sites I've checked. Also, thanks for the link to georgesfixsmotorcycles on ebay. Score!
                  Willie in TN

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Just spoke with the local Suz dealer parts mgr. Evidently the oring is no longer available. Looks like a rebuild kit or replacement from an autoparts place or hardware store is in my future. Thanks
                    Willie in TN

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Get a O ring assortment from Harbor Freight. They have them in metric sizes made out of nitrile rubber as well as standard rubber composition.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                        Just spoke with the local Suz dealer parts mgr. Evidently the oring is no longer available. Looks like a rebuild kit or replacement from an autoparts place or hardware store is in my future. Thanks
                        Willie in TN
                        Willie, saw it on Alphasport, part number 44353-33154 at $5.87 now for the GS1000GT, that means the kit at $23 is more value for money.

Comment

Working...
                        X