Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EZ starter problem I think

Hi guys,
    I have a 1982 GS 1100E (Z). I've recently replaced the head bolt O-rings, r/r with a Honda CBR unit, adjusted the valves and cleaned the carbs. Tried to start it today to test the charging system and it turns over VERY slowly and then the solenoid just clicks. The battery is new and has 12.5v. If I whack the starter it will again turn over slowly. When I hit the button there is 12.3v or so at the starter.

I took the starter apart and both brushes look very worn. There is little tension on the armature since they are worn down and the spring can no longer keep tension. It will spin over freely off the bike but when installed it just groans and barely turns the engine over. Any luck replacing the brushes? Doesn't sound like a starter clutch to me...Anybody have a used one I could buy?? (Sounds like more than one of us 1100 guys might be looking for one!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sandor
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2009, 05:28 PM.

Brushes

Get new ones! They're cheap and easy to install. While you're at it, polish up your armature and your starter will act like it's new!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I did some looking (Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers, Old Bike Barn, etc.) and They only show one of the two brushes (Part number 9 in the link below.) and not the one that is not connected to the post. http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...m5998sch270721

Does that make sense?

Comment

Be careful "wacking" on these starters with anything. Unlike Chevy or Ford starters, these starters have magnets glued to the outer cases. Even light Wacking or pecking on them can & will break the magnets & cause chunks to jump off & cling to the armature, causing severe damage to the starter. Not proud of it, but speaking from experience.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Be careful "wacking" on these starters with anything. Unlike Chevy or Ford starters, these starters have magnets glued to the outer cases. Even light Wacking or pecking on them can & will break the magnets & cause chunks to jump off & cling to the armature, causing severe damage to the starter. Not proud of it, but speaking from experience.
          Good tip! Does anybody know if a 1980 GS1100 starter would fit? Or a GS700?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandor View Post
            Good tip! Does anybody know if a 1980 GS1100 starter would fit? Or a GS700?
            The starters for your bike and the 1980 GS1100 are exactly the same ones. I don't think there was a GS700 but I think most GS starters will fit most GS bikes....not all, but most (I think).
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Starter

80-81 750E starter will fit an 80-83 GS1100E but the 1100 starters are stronger (higher power rating).
              The 750E starter is strong enough to turn over the 1100E just not real fast.

Pos.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                The starters for your bike and the 1980 GS1100 are exactly the same ones. I don't think there was a GS700 but I think most GS starters will fit most GS bikes....not all, but most (I think).
                That's what I thought too! These made me wonder though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=#ht_500wt_789

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...X:IT&viewitem=

Would they fit?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  80-81 750E starter will fit an 80-83 GS1100E but the 1100 starters are stronger (higher power rating).
                  The 750E starter is strong enough to turn over the 1100E just not real fast.

Pos.
                  Perfect. Thanks. I'll stick with the 1100 starters. Anybody found brushes that work as replacements? I cleaned up the armature and it looks good. The bike only has 16k on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandor View Post
                    Perfect. Thanks. I'll stick with the 1100 starters. Anybody found brushes that work as replacements? I cleaned up the armature and it looks good. The bike only has 16k on it.
                    Thought about going to a local alternator/starter shop and asking them for some? Never done it myself personally but worth a shot.

Comment

Ta-dah!!!!!

Comment

A local starter/ alternator shop is a very good idea. Ours closed recently, due to the owner retired. He had done several bike starters for me & had told me he could slightly modify some brushes he kept is stock easier & quicker than he could get the orig. brushes. Never had a problem with what he fixed. I'm now wondering what I'll do the next timeI need him.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Get a brush kit here: http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...tartmtrkit.htm

Comment

You can get starters and parts here, too:

Alternator-Starter-Repair Parts for Motorcycle:Scooter:Snowmobile:ATV:PWC:Garden Tractor:Golf Carts:Utility Carts:Small Engines:Industrial Engines More!
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                            X