Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000 Leaking oil at head gasket? Advice needed on how much to tear apart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Leaking oil at head gasket? Advice needed on how much to tear apart!

My '79 GS1000E is showing minor symptoms that might be a leaky head gasket, but then again maybe I'm imagining things. I've got the carbs and pipe off right now, so it's tempting to replace it...

I've been noticing very small amounts of oil after rides, maybe one drop worth on each side, on the cooling fins below the forward side head gasket. For a while, I thought it was leftover oil from earlier valve cover/speedo cable leaks blowing back from hidden spots, but it's getting to be a bit long and a few too many cleanings since then. The edge of the gasket looks kinda ugly. Oil consumption seems slightly up - again, could be my imagination - and with the pipes off I see that the outer exhaust ports are really sooty. I thought those carbs would be the culprit, but I'm rebuilding them and it doesn't seem like the outer carbs are really any different in condition from the ones on the healthy looking inner cylinders. Compression is OK on all 4.

Is it common to see these sorts of symptoms from head gaskets in bikes this age, or does it not seem likely? I suppose I'm wondering which will be more painful: tearing into this job now, or not doing it! If I do go ahead and tear into it, I wonder if I should also replace the gasket where the cylinder block meets the case. And if I do all that, should I consider essentially just doing a top end rebuild? It's got about 30,000 miles on it.

Thanks guys!

Did you do a compression test on it? If it was me I would check the head bolt torque first, then after a compression test decide whether you need to do a ring/valve job or just the head gasket. The base gasket would be a real bugger to do and not worth it if it doesnt leak.

Comment

Yep

Yeah compression is OK, which is the main reason I wonder whether I should be tearing in there...

Comment

Well, thats good, but maybe a retorque of the head bolts would be enough to stop the oil leak, if not just pull the head, decarbonize it and put a new gasket on. I put a little permatex silicone on the top and bottom of the gasket around the oil passages. As I said base gaskets are a pain because the jugs like to spill dirt and grit into the bottom end when you pull the jugs off and refitting the pistons into them isnt fun and if the base gasket isnt leaking then why bother
        Anyway, a head retorque is free and easy and after 30,000 good idea to check anyway...
        Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Is there a good step by step for the re-torque procedure? I'd like to do it to mine..

Comment

There is a pattern to use, but I can't explain what yours is. Mine are numbered in the shop manual as to which order.

Comment

Generally start in the middle work around in an X patern doing the small 10mm bolts last 28 ft lbs as I remember. You need to loosen them first before you can retorque them. 8-10 ft lbs for the 10mm

Comment

It is not uncommon for the '78/79 GS1000 engine to weep oil here. A bit of a nuisance. One of my bikes leaks, the other doesn't...yet.

Re-torqueing may help. Good luck

Comment

Hmm well as long as I've got it half apart, maybe I'll go ahead and just replace that head gasket then. Hopefully it won't be too big of a nightmare to tear it down that far. I'd rather spend some extra time now and be sure it's not gonna be a headache later...
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you remove head, you really ought to replace base gasket. It is very easy to displace the base gasket when jarring the head lose. I would recommend replacing both as peace of mind. Yes, I know it is more cleanup work and it is also kinda fun getting the piston rings compressed to get cylinder back over pistons. It will also give you a better understanding of the condition of you engine. Sorry to burst bubble.

Comment

Haha yeah, I tend to agree with the philosophy of as-long-as-you're-in-there, do-it-right. Easier than doing it twice! So OK, maybe I'll go ahead with the base gasket as well. I've owned this thing for 10 years now and am going through to refresh everything from tires to wheel/swingarm bearings, putting a new pipe on and going through the carbs. So what's one more project?!

Comment

Working...
                      X