No announcement yet.

1981 SUZUKI GS 1000, needs little work, asking $2,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2,000? That is WAY too much for a 1981 GS 1000 that "needs some work". You may want to check ebay and see what they are generally going for. Someone previously posted that for $2,000 they would expect a bike in perfect running condition (and no, that's not being cheap). Keep in mind these bikes ARE over 20 years old.

Just my .02 worth :-)

Comment

If you are interested in one that can be gotten for under $2000 in excellent condition, I have a guy in Lafayette about to part with his 1980 GS1000GL (shafty) and I am working on getting him to bring me some pictures to post on the GS Garage. If I had the money right now I'd snatch it up in a minute.

Comment

rphillips wrote:
        $2000 would almost buy my "83" GS 1100 E & it doesn't need anything
        I will buy it!! :roll:

Comment

Unfortunately Lafayette is a long way from Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada. I'm not familiar with the protocols of shipping and purchasing long distance. but it is tempting.

I've checked at local bike junkyards and old gs's are rare around here. I've tried on occasion to get parts for my gs750e at junkyards and had no luck.

I often drool over what's available on the American ebay section for Suzuki's.

I'll keep looking and waiting and eventually I'll find something, I hope.

Jim Long

Comment

I agree with the general sentiment

Three years ago I bought a 79GS850G. Complete with Vetter fairing, hardbags and trunk (Touring gear is worth more than the asking price of the bike). $150 CD (or about $100USD). Three other buyers could not get it going. I bought it anyways and within 1 hour of getting it home I got it running. It is in surprisingly good shape. I feel comfortable taking this on my annual summer road ride for two weeks at a time covering thousands of miles in remote areas of British Columbia. These are phenomenal reliable bikes. Paying $2000 is too much. I have put in a Barnett clutch, the stock one was too weak, it did need a new muffler, the rear shocks were shot and I just replaced the rear tire last year. In all, totalled about $600CDN ($400USD) but that includes three years of riding.

This year I bought an 83GS1100G for less than $800USD (no touring gear). I thought this was a bit much, but I did want the 1100 motor and the bike was in terrific shape but not showroom. My brother paid $400USD for his GS850G complete with touring gear.

While these are great bikes with great motors in them, they are old bikes still. I do not want to see people paying too much for a bike, be patient and you'll find a deal.

Comment

Working...
            X