Clutch people, c'mon in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch people, c'mon in.

Well, i'm about to bring my bike out of storage soon and I was having some issues before I put her to sleep for the winter. The clutch was slipping under WOT conditions.

I know I need to check the cable to see how much play is in it as I have read that it may need some more play than there currently is.

An odd thing I did notice was that sometimes when I used to start the bike with the clutch pulled in, the bike would slightly lurch forwards almost as if the clutch was not pulled in. This would mostly happen when the bike was cold in the morning though. When it was hot it would not happen.

Can someone tell me where I can get the part numbers for the clutch springs and discs just in case (and where to order them?) I'd like to check the price difference between ordering them online and having them ordered up here in Canada (the exchange rate isn't so great right now so it may be worth it for me to order up here).

I can't wait to get her on the road!!

What cha ridin ? I would search Clutch Slip.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I would get the manual out and adjust the clutch.

~M
      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
      83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
      85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
      84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
      Current:
      80' GS1100E,,
      81 Yamaha XS1100,
      01' Bandit 1200
      sigpic

Comment

Hello fellow Canadian.
        I have found 80% of stuff cheaper getting it through online stores in the US. Example: A $50 intake pipe up here and i can get it for $14 US online
        Some Canadian bikes are different than US bikes, Like the GS400 up here was 4 valve from 1980 or so, in the us it wasnt til '91 or something til they went 4 valve.
        Everything I bought for my '82 GS 750 (thousands $) was a perfect fit. A LOT of stuff just isnt available up here and you have to get it elsewhere. I order From Bike Bandit mostly all the time, no brokerage fees and decent shipping.

Comment

Hi,
          I found the same thing happening. You can't start these bikes in gear when they're cold with the clutch pulled in. The clutch still grabs because of the thickness of the oil.
          Always start it in neautral and you shouldn't have any lurching. Once the bike is warm it seems it will start fine in gear with the clutch pulled in obviously but I still don't do it anymore. Safety is one concern and I think it just puts more unneeded strain on the starter.
          I'll be doing my clutch soon also. I ordered the plates from babbits and the springs from bike bandit. Seems like April before the plates get here. A little bummed about that.
          Have fun.
          Eddie V

Comment

You could probably get away with just replacing the springs. Be carefull of the bolts they break easy. Only need around 8 ft lbs torque

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              You could probably get away with just replacing the springs. Be carefull of the bolts they break easy. Only need around 8 ft lbs torque
              I wish I ordered a few bolts with my springs. Thanks.

Comment

i had the same problem. put it in gear after starting it and it would want to creep forward until it was good and warm. Just changed my springs and started it and no more creeping. Good for me.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
                X