1980 GS450L Airbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450L Airbox question

I got a GS450 with the airbox hacked in half, no doubt so the previous owner could access the battery better. I have since acquired a used airbox but I can not for the life of me see how it goes into the frame. Is the airbox supposed to come apart? It looks like there is a seam, but it also looks plastic welded in some spots. Do I have to take the rear wheel and fender off to get the airbox in? I probably sound stupid, but that should only mean someone has an answer right? Also, the boots that come out of the airbox and connect to the carbs are very brittle. They should be somewhat pliable right? Thanks in advance!

The only way I could ge the airbox out of my 450T was to remove the carbs, carb boots (that attach to the motor) and the cam chain tensioner. After that you can finagle it out/in the left hand side of the bike. The rubber boots that go inside the airbox and attach to the carbs are supposed to be pliable, mine are semi hard and I cannot get them to slip over the carbs without them being pushed into the airbox. What a PITA! I've read that you can soak the rubber boots in brake fluid or carb cleaner for 15 minutes or so to soften them up, so I think I might give that a shot before spending the $ for replacements. If yours are brittle or cracked, you may need to replace them. Good luck.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. sonjar9,

I agree, you'll at least have to remove the carbs. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Do I have to do anything special with the cam chain to remove the cam chain tensioner?

Comment

Originally posted by sonjar9 View Post
          Do I have to do anything special with the cam chain to remove the cam chain tensioner?
          bwringer has a great tutorial to rebuild the cam chain tensioner. It may help you.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
          X