GS Miles Per Gallon Chart ( Link )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
    ...and your tenacity and determination. You've been all over that thing since the day you got it. Not sure that I would've been able to make the time and effort to bring it back from the brink. You are to be commended!
    Even so, somehow, I get the feelin' that you're not quite done tinkering. Seems that you're very much enjoying the wrenching aspect of your GS. I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up with your bike worthy of a show or two. Keep up the great work!
    Thank you very much, with all the help i have gotten it would have been a crime to just give up when something isn't going right.

I feel if i can get things fixed with this sites help then others especially new to riding like me won't have to go through as much frustration and give up so easily.

I think it's easy to take for granted how much you know about something like those more experienced, you often tend to forget how something so minor to you now was such a big deal when you first started learning.

I would hate to lose that humility and forget that last year i knew nothing about GS's, i was just lucky and stumbled onto an exceptional site whose greatest asset are the members who graciously give of their time, experience and patience to help those of us whose ignorance can try the nerves and patience of even a saint.

To paraphrase Braveheart,

Sometimes you think to yourself..........

"The problems with an old bike are too many."

I see before me an army of GS'ers in defiance of neglected GS's.

You have all come to this site as free men/women. Free you are.

What will do you without this site, WITHOUT freedom ?

Will you fight?

You think to yourself "fight against the varnish build up, and weak ignition, poor starting, rough running and no idle? "

" I can run, run away from these carb and ignition related problems and sell the bike for parts "

Aye, you can run, and live......for at least awhile.

Try to fix it, and you may fail.

But years from now dying on your beds many years from now,

Would you be willing to to trade all the days from this day till that,? for one chance to come back here and tell that PO, that he may take your enthusiam;

BUT HE WILL NEVER TAKE, YOUR FREEDOM !
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Freedom!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

We'll see after this rebuild, but I got 30 MPG on a 1000G when babying it, and if riding hard I'd drop all the way down to near 20. Of course I consider "babying it" shifting at about 5000 RPM. Riding it hard is running it to redline.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Freedom!

BassCliff
          Now that's what i'm talking about ! lol

Comment

gas millage

my stock 84 1150 with stock jetting gets 40 plus MPG. sometimes on perfect conditions i get 50 MPG. i keep my speeds steady and under 70 MPH. around town i almost never use all the power on tap. that is the key to millage

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
              Thank you very much, with all the help i have gotten it would have been a crime to just give up when something isn't going right.

I feel if i can get things fixed with this sites help then others especially new to riding like me won't have to go through as much frustration and give up so easily.

I think it's easy to take for granted how much you know about something like those more experienced, you often tend to forget how something so minor to you now was such a big deal when you first started learning.

I would hate to lose that humility and forget that last year i knew nothing about GS's, i was just lucky and stumbled onto an exceptional site whose greatest asset are the members who graciously give of their time, experience and patience to help those of us whose ignorance can try the nerves and patience of even a saint.

To paraphrase Braveheart,

Sometimes you think to yourself..........

"The problems with an old bike are too many."

I see before me an army of GS'ers in defiance of neglected GS's.

You have all come to this site as free men/women. Free you are.

What will do you without this site, WITHOUT freedom ?

Will you fight?

You think to yourself "fight against the varnish build up, and weak ignition, poor starting, rough running and no idle? "

" I can run, run away from these carb and ignition related problems and sell the bike for parts "

Aye, you can run, and live......for at least awhile.

Try to fix it, and you may fail.

But years from now dying on your beds many years from now,

Would you be willing to to trade all the days from this day till that,? for one chance to come back here and tell that PO, that he may take your enthusiam;

BUT HE WILL NEVER TAKE, YOUR FREEDOM !

Here, here!

Wow. Methinks you may need a new nick name.

Comment

Freedom!

BassCliff
                I can't quite figure out what, but SOMEthing seems sketchy about this pic.

Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  We'll see after this rebuild, but I got 30 MPG on a 1000G when babying it, and if riding hard I'd drop all the way down to near 20. Of course I consider "babying it" shifting at about 5000 RPM. Riding it hard is running it to redline.
                  I tend to shift more around 7000, give or take 1000. I rarely wind it out, but I rarely baby it either. Still, I don't see a 57% MPG increase based on lowering the shift RPM.

Comment

If i ever see the light of day of 7000-9000 rpm it's because i'm riding it cause i stole it lol, i'll take 40 mpg any day of the week.

The sprocket change front and rear has definetly helped!

Still tinkering i think i'll be tinkering on this bike till i'm old and grey.

Next up will be the fork seals, plastic welding, and an interesting little surprise project i'm working on i think others will enjoy, stay tuned.......

Comment

A new best last Friday.

110.6 on 2.031 gallons for fillup 54 mpg.

Now, I'm not sure about the rest of you gents, but when I am crusing the expressways during Chi-town rush hour, we can really get moving and the sad fact is, I'm just trying to stay with the pack. If the ton happens, I have no way of knowing other than cruising at 5400 rpms, I don't know what mph that equates to and probably don't want to know. I've got cars infront of me and behind me and the fricken speedo is buried at 85.

This is good for getting the hotrod out of my blood though.

When this is the case, I get 42-44 mpg.

Comment

Hi,

I rode down to the Julian rally yesterday. On the way down I got 32 mpg. On the way back I got 45 mpg. Headwinds make a big difference on something as aerodynamic as a 30 year old motorcycle.

BassCliff
                        I see similar milage to yours BassCliff. Makes me feel better about supposing to be able to get such great milage!

Comment

When I first started riding my bike, I was getting 40-47 mpg regularly. But, I was easy on the throttle, rarely hit 70 mph........Now all that's changed, I get somewhat aggressive on cornering, I start out rather quickly, I ride at speeds above 70 mph when warranted, ride through some really crazy weather and now my mileage ranges from a low of 27 (15-35 mph head and side winds) to a high of about 41 generally.

Comment

I thought there was an official "MPG" thread, but I can't seem to find it ( I am apparently horrible with this sites search function)

I just went through my first full tank and thought I would post.

ALL low speed (60km/hr speed limit, so 80km tops ha) back road and city I got 137km off 8.7 liters of fuel.

So I calculate at 37mpg, sound about right?

I was getting about 50-70 on a 50cc moped before this...

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                              I thought there was an official "MPG" thread, but I can't seem to find it ( I am apparently horrible with this sites search function)

I just went through my first full tank and thought I would post.

ALL low speed (60km/hr speed limit, so 80km tops ha) back road and city I got 137km off 8.7 liters of fuel.

So I calculate at 37mpg, sound about right?

I was getting about 50-70 on a 50cc moped before this...
                              That is US MPG using the smaller US gallon. In UK Gallons it works out to about 43 MPG, even better.

Comment

I was just wondering if it sounded normal though, or should I be looking into something that is making it bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X