• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Coil for GSX 1100 EX ´82

Hello,

I´m looking for a new Ignition Coil for my GSX 1100 EX 1982

Where could I get it?

Thank you.

If you're looking new I'd go with Dynatek 3ohm green coils. Browse Ebay or just go to their website. Also try Z1.com, APE.com and schnitz.com ....
    I have a set of used.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for answer,

Do you know if changing my coils for Dynatek 3ohm green coils, I will need to change anything more in the motorbike for the correct running?

Thank you.

Comment

I think with the dyna coils you'll need to make new plug wires so you'll want to buy plug boots at the same time. Z1 sells boots and I'm sure others do too. You could also just get coils from a newer bike. I'm running coils from a GSXR-600, they work great and are cheap on ebay. I think most anything off a Katana, GS500, GSXR or and other 4cylinder Suzuki would bolt right on.

Are you sure you need coils?

/\/\ac

Comment

Hello Macmatic,

I´m not sure, I´m not mechanic, but my problem it´s that when the motorbike it´s cold, Start to run without problem, and it´s a missil running.
          But in 20-30 minutes running, the motorbike don´t run more than 80-100 km/h and If I stop the bike, it´s difficult to get run at the moment,I have to wait for the bike get cold again. And sometimes when I start the bike I have failure in one or two cylinder.

Comment

Hello again!,

I just receive the new ignitons coils, well.. my question now it´s the next:

In the old ignition coil, the color of the cables are white and the other orange with a white line.
            In the new ignition coil, the color of the cables are black and the other black with a white line.

Have I to connect in the motorbike, the white cable with the black one, and the black/white with the orange/white?

Thank for your answers.

Comment

Wow!! this thread goes down very quick

UP!!

Sorry.

Comment

Are the new coils marked with a + and -?
                The orange and white are the power line and the other is from the igniter.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Nothing, the ignitions are completely black.
                  What happen if I made a bad connection?, Could I burn anything if I try to run the motorbike?

Thank you.

Comment

Just put the new coils on with the same wiring as the old ones and you will be fine.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Please have a look for the next pictures:

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Thank you.

Comment

This are the 2 ignitions coils which I buy:

http://cgi.ebay.es/NEW-IGNITION-COIL...1%7C240%3A1318

My Question it´s : I bought 2, one for the left side and other for the right, but both are identicals. There are one for left and other for right??? or... I can put the same in both sides.
                        I ask because when i put the key in ignition position, the one on the left overheat...

Please, I need an answer because I´m going to finish crazy with the ****ing motorbike....

Regards

Comment

Well, I have never seen coils like those and especially the weird connectors. You have to find out which is + and which is - on the coils. You could fry the coils if you hook them up wrong. Using an ohmeter, you would be able to find out which wire is which.
                          If it was me, I would return those and get ones that have proper connectors on them so you could just plug them in.

Comment

Thanks gearhead13, I think tha will be impossible to return it, because I cut the original connectors and I weld news for to get put in the motorbike.

Finally I will do what said Macmatic, to buy a second hand GSXR600 coils.
                            Have I to change with GSXR600 ignition coils the ignition unit or CDI ?

Thank you for your answers.

Comment

Those coils will work. The one overheating/is it hooked up right?

Comment

Working...
                              X