Looking for Help in DENVER AREA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Help in DENVER AREA

I am looking for someone in the Denver area to help me get my GS 550 running. I am a complete novice when it comes to motorcycles but I want to learn as much as I can. Please respond to this if you can help. I would just like to talk to someone at the least. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I'm in the Aurora area. What is it you need help with. Theres a bunch of us all around you that can help you out.

Comment

I'm a novice too as far as mechanics go. I live in Fort Collins, but am learning each and every week more and more. I'm glad you are interested in learning. Let me know if another novice can help you in any way.

--Dwight

Comment

Sent Messages

Jay B,
        I sent you a message via PM and email, did you get either of them?

Comment

Denver

Hey JayB --

Ive got a 1981 GS1000g in Denver, and it runs great, but has some funky noises... Sounds like there is a ping-pong ball rolling around in the engine at idle, which turns into a contact ticking at speed.

The guy at Denver Motorcycle tuned it up a bit, and said it sounded odd but couldnt know for sure without a complete teardown (sounds expensive....)

Also, how do you get these bikes up on the stand? Im a big guy (i bench 270), and i just about gave myself a hernia trying. 8O

Any ideas?

Comment

I'll help when, and if, I can. Send a PM - I'm usually riding in the hills on the weekends, but not always.

Comment

Re: Denver

Originally posted by JohnF
              Hey JayB --

Ive got a 1981 GS1000g in Denver, and it runs great, but has some funky noises... Sounds like there is a ping-pong ball rolling around in the engine at idle, which turns into a contact ticking at speed.

The guy at Denver Motorcycle tuned it up a bit, and said it sounded odd but couldnt know for sure without a complete teardown (sounds expensive....)

Also, how do you get these bikes up on the stand? Im a big guy (i bench 270), and i just about gave myself a hernia trying. 8O

Any ideas?
              It's all tecnique. Search on center stands, there are a few articles on this.

Basically, put the stand down till it touches, then stand on it. Grab the bike by the bars and by the rail under the seat. Pull back on the bars, lift the rail while straightening the leg you are standing on the centerstand with.

POP! it will go right up, even on a slight incline. (Face it uphill on inclines, or it will roll right back off that center stand!)

If you continue to have trouble, get someone to weld a slightly longer footpeg on the centerstand to improve your leverage. Also look for a broken stand, I had an 11ooEZ that I could not get on a stand for anything. Found the link bar between the posts of the stand had split, ruining my leverage.

Comment

It helps to have some sturdy boots on

Comment

I am in Denver too and just picked up a 750 that I'll be tearing into on tuesday of next week. If you want you can come over and bring the bike and we'll tear into yours too.

Comment

Lot of us out this way. I'm in Ft Collins, too.

For the ping pong noise, twist your cam chain tensioner and see if the noise changes.. If so, you may need to take out the tensioner, clean it, and put it back in. Pretty easy, but you do have to pull the carbs, and that can suck.

Comment

Howdy,
                      I just got a 1980 GS550L on the road after it had set for over twelve years in a garage. I am still in the process of learning about what I have, but have some contacts and a good shop in Castle Rock that redid my carbs and helped me a lot for what I felt was a fair price.
                      I live in Parker, and if you want, would be glad to discuss your bike with you.
                      Best regards,
                      Mike S

Comment

I'm in Boulder, and would be happy to lend an idea here or there, but I would call myself a novice as well, all my bike needed was a good carb cleaning and a new tank (ok, new tach cable, clutch cable, hoses, tires, duct tape, etc)

good luck on your bike, hopefully we can all get out for a ride in the near future!

Comment

Re: Cycle help..

John:

I'm in Boulder too and have done alot of work on my GS 1000 N. Mostly electrical work..

Herb
                          (mtngoat)

Comment

Also in Boulder. Done quite a few minor bike things but not too knowledgeable about the harder stuff (carbs, valves, biturbonumulators ).

BB

Comment

Working...
                            X