Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with regulator/rectifier problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with regulator/rectifier problem...

I've got an '84 GS450LE. I've recently replaced the battery because it wouldn't maintain a charge. So far, things are good. however, because I've trolled the forum for a while, I decided to check my charging system.

When I'm measuring I'm using the - on the battery and the + on the starter relay(I think it the relay, the Battery + can't be reached with the battery installed and this connectino is the first one that the battery + goes to)

Here's what happened: ~13 volts across the battery when ignition is off. Start the bike and Idle ~14.5 volts, rev to 5000 rpm and it hits 18 volts.

According to my clymer manual, its brilliant advice is replace the reg/rectifier. I've tested the stator and I get 90 VAC on all leads.

Will the 18 Volts DC kill anything? Should I replace the reg/rect today or can it wait?

Thanks for your help....Sam

PS: I've read the stator papers, I haven't done all their testing yet however, my stator seems good so I can't see it telling me anything other than a bad reg/rect

18 volts is awfully high in my opinion. Hell, I could barely get 13 out of mine until I went though the wiring this year and now have 14.2v. Maybe the reg isn't shutting the power down like it's supposed to?

Comment

i think the stator papers tell you what the hi voltage should be at the higher rpm
      dont fool yourself. Replace ther regultor before you do more dammage.

Comment

Replace it - overvoltage can damage the battery and system.

Hap

Comment

Well this is the answer I was looking for - unfortunately.
          I went through the stator papers again - a few times. I did all of the tests and only the reg/rect failed. the stator and connections are all good.
          So I'm off to get me a new one.

Here's a thought...assuming if I left this alone the stator and other bits would be toast right? Right now the bike runs fine. I have no idea how long its been like this. I bought it used 2 years ago. I guess I'm lucky I checked it now?

Sam

Originally posted by slopoke
          i think the stator papers tell you what the hi voltage should be at the higher rpm
          dont fool yourself. Replace ther regultor before you do more dammage.

Comment

The high voltage can toast everything. It might start by having l;ight bulbs pop or even worse it could take out your ignitor. Think your self lucky you found it now. Change it ASAP.

Thanks,
            Gvain Shafer

Comment

Do yourself a favor and contact Electrex and get one for you bike if they make one. It was the best move i ever made. They are cheaper than the Suzuki originals and will out perform them. Plus if yours has a separate regulator rectifyers you can toss the rectifyer. the one Electrex unit will do it all.

Comment

Working...
              X