Timing and electronic conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing and electronic conversion?

I have a 78' GS1000E which the previous owner converted from points to electronic. I pulled off the cover expecting to see something at least similar to what was in my service manual. No such luck.

Instead this is what I saw! Looks to me like I can't remove these
    pieces to run the bike and view my timing plate.

Also admittedly I'm not even sure if a car timing light is the same
    as a motorcycle timing light. The service manual shows setting the
    timing (points type) separatly for cyls. 1-4 and 2-3 separately. If
    the timing lights are the same for auto/cycle, does that mean that I
    need to place the sensor on plug wire no.1 for 1/4 and no.2 for 2/3?

I guess that doesn't matter if I can't find anything to shine the
    light on...

If someone can get me past these issues I am sure I'll have more
    questions.

Take a flashlight to that little window at the top. maybe through there you can see the firing marks .

And yes, 1-4 or 2-3 fire together so you can check them in pairs.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Dude, you don't have to check the timing any more...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

That Martek ignition is quite old. I use to sell them back in the day, and had nothing but trouble with them!! I quit selling them because of that. I always told people to carry their stock ignition with them.

Comment

Originally posted by progas View Post
          That Martek ignition is quite old. I use to sell them back in the day, and had nothing but trouble with them!! I quit selling them because of that. I always told people to carry their stock ignition with them.

Hmmm... Any particular KIND of trouble, or just trouble in general?

Comment

You can't see the timing marks through the window below the top center plate screw?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Dude, you don't have to check the timing any more...
              Brian can you please explain?

Comment

Electronic ignition is "set it, forget it"

Comment

I have that same EI...PO installed it on my bike who know how long ago. Seems like it works pretty well and since its electronic you don't have to set the timing. I've had it all apart and its pretty simple. Just a couple of LEDs. I have some images that I found online from the instruction manual if your interested in seeing the wiring diagrams, etc. PM your email address and I'll send them to you. you might be able to read them off my photobucket account here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

the instructions are for a Kawasaki but the model number of device is the same and as far as I can tell it is exactly the same thing.

Comment

You do have to set the timing initially...
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

duaneage - Take a flashlight to that little window at the top. maybe through there you can see the firing marks .

I'll check that!

bwringer - Dude, you don't have to check the timing any more...
                      Nice...

chef1366 - You can't see the timing marks through the window below the top center plate screw?
                      See two up!

salty_monk - You do have to set the timing initially...
                      Always with the making us do it right salty...
                      If I can check it through the little window and it's not right I'll be looking for some "How To" info from you.

Comment

Running the same ignition on the project bike, haven't had any issues , but also haven't seen many miles.....

I have the original instructions, if you'd like a copy just let me know.

-greg
                        Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

I had the same ignition and it lasted for 30 years. It failed while I was doing some rewiring and hooked up a wrong wire and fried it. I put in a Dyna S today and the coil relay mod. The spark is waaay bigger and better now.

Comment

Working...
                          X