GS750es Front Tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750es Front Tire

OK i have a big problem, i bought the bike past summer an dhave been working on it since. The previous owner took the front tire off and now the part the brakes attach to is rubbing on the caliper. So in all of my brainpower i realised the wheel isn't center, so the spacers must be mixed up. So could someone please send me a picture or tell me how it is supposed to look.
    Thanks

Check parts diagram here....

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Spacers are wrong

I did the same thing... My Bad !!! Painted the wheel,disc's,calipers, etc...
      Once I put it all back together I had this very bad rub (Left side)..

Once i looked at it all REAL close I found my issue.. ME not paying attention to putting it back together. Oh yeah this was on my 85 GS700ES. I have now since this picture put some S/S brake lines on.

Comment

It may be that you have done nothing fundamentally wrong with the order of your front axle spacers!

I have owned my 1983 GS750ES since new but haven't worked on it for a couple of years (I have a newer bike now). So, I am working from memory, but I seem to remember having an identical problem years ago after I got the bike back from the dealership after they had done some work. The problem originated in poor manufacturing tolerance of the sheet metal fork brace which resides inside the front mudguard. They had tightened the 4 bolts attaching this brace and mudguard to the forks before installing the front wheel and axle. This is the natural thing to do, since access to these bolts with a spanner is much easier without the front wheel getting in the way. The trouble lay in the fact that the brace pulled the fork legs too close together for proper fitment of the (fork-mounted) brake calipers with the brake discs. What I did was (1) loosen off these front mudguard monting bolts, letting the fork legs spread back out again, (2) mount the front wheel with axle and spacers, (3) get the brake calipers and discs properly spaced and aligned, (4) tighten the axle holder nuts, (5) tighten the axle nut and install cotter/split pin, and finally tighten the mudguard mounting bolts (a pain in the rear to do with the wheel in place).

You might try this to see if this solves your problem.

BB
        Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2009, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X