Leaking carbs - Won't start all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking carbs - Won't start all the time

I have an 81 GS650G. I have removed and cleaned the carbs, and now they are leaking. It's not dumping fuel out of the overflow lines (it did that before cleaning). It's leaking from what appears to be the float gaskets.

To add to this frustration, sometimes it will start, sometimes it'll act like it's starting, run for 2 sec. then die, and no amount of choke or lack of choke will get it to start.

I can come back t it 30 minutes leter and with some cranking it'll fire right up. I'm getting good spark, but it seems like the engine is flooding. Even with only 1/2 choke, it'll refuse to sart, it won't even attempt to catch after that first quick hit.

I know I need to rebuild the carbs, since they are leaking, I figure the old o-rings and gaskets have given up the ghost after being cleaned out with carb cleaner.

I was going to order that keyster rebuild kit off EBay, and get 4 of them and rebuild all the carbs. Will the Keyster kit #KS-0241 work for the 650G? If so, does it have all the parts? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418926069

It says th kit includes:
    "includes float gasket; Y86 needle and clip; float needle and 2.0 seat; #160 main #110 and #42.5 slow jet; misc packing and gaskets and "O" rings as applicable"

Could this funky starting problem be directly related to the carbs needing a rebuild? Is it possible the carb would dump way too much fuel into teh engine sometimes? I'm not positive it's flooded when it won't start, but the few times it hasn't I pulled a plug and it seemed to be. Other times, she runs like a bat out of hell!

Thanks for your help, this is just very frustrating. I should have rebuilt them from the start i guess.

BuMp!

Comment

I have the same bike and just redid my carbs two weeks ago. I had similar problems including gas coming out of the overflow tubes on cyl 2 and 3. Both cylinders flooded on start up and ran like crap, once you got going it was OK. It turned out that the O rings for the float needles were shot, shrunk over the years and let the gas flow constantly. I replaced all the O rings with a kit supplied by Robert Barr, a complete set for four carbs for $12.00. Solved a lot of weird problems with the carbs.

Comment

Here's the website for Robert Barr:

Comment

I wish I had the sizes, I work for an o-ring distributor! We have millions of these little guys floating around, you name the size, material and we got it.

Anyone have the sizes (ID & OD) as well as the "height"?

I ordered 4 Keyster carb kits yesterday. They have the gaskets, needles, jets. I don't know if it has all the orings though. I may have to take 1 carb completely apart and go scavenge work for the orings to match. It looked like it came with them, but does anyone know if the keyster has them?

Comment

Working...
          X