Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Frame Modification

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am trying to clean up my GS1000's appearance, taking off any unnecessary parts of the bike to make it as light as possible. I am considering cutting off the small triangle-shaped parts of the rear frame that hold the exhaust mounts and rear foot pegs. My exhaust does not mount to this part of the frame and I never carry passengers. Does anyone know for sure if this part of the frame is a structural necessity? I have looked at it as closely as possible with my untrained eye and it appears not to be part of the frame's main structure. Am I right or am I asking for trouble? I am not concerned with keeping the bike original as it now a cafe bike/street fighter. Thanks for any input!

Tim

Break out the grinder and cut them off if you want- those brackets are only there to support the passenger pegs and exhaust. I did the same and have had no related troubles.

Comment

You MIGHT want to leave a bit of a tab in case you want to weld them back on at a future date for resale. But like the man said, no loss of frame integrity.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'd advise not chopping them off. Not due to structure of the bike but on the resale side.

Comment

I should take a few pictures of my frame. I am working on a new 2V frame to make a no-bar bracket bike ( drag racing)

I took them off first, and the small tabs for starters. the frame can take many modifications and still be VERY STRONG

these are extreme modifications I know but the passenger loops are just the start without losing the strength needed to safely ride it.

some things do lower the total G.V.W.R. if you remove or change the main triangle. ie: engine cradle. backbone and seat rails.

behind the shock towers is dead weight too.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Go ahead & remove them if you want, there is no compromise to the structure of the main frame by doing this

Comment

Mine were already semi-butchered, so I removed them completely, and found that a pair of '80-'81GS1100E aluminum castings will bolt right on; whether you want them for now or later. You just need the longer footpeg & swinger bolts to allow for the additional thickness of the castings...plus I think it looks much cooler. Have your cake & eat it, too. I think it'll help, too, if you're going for a wider swingarm.
              Hugh

Comment

Thanks everybody for all the tips. I am going to chop those guys off. The bike is not in the high resale value category, so I'm not afraid to cut them off completely. I think it will look nicer, too. Thanks again and happy riding!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Break out the grinder and cut them off if you want- those brackets are only there to support the passenger pegs and exhaust. I did the same and have had no related troubles.
                  I cut them off as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X