GS not running right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS not running right

I have a 1977 GS550 and it is not running quite right, it has an erratic idel under 2000 rpm, it may jump or fall a couple of hundred rpm, also when I am riding if I accelerate hard it is slow getting up to speed and when the rpm gets above 6500 it sputters, I have set the points at .018, does this sound good to you, please help

I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb, because it could be a lot of things, but this is an easy one to check:

Make sure your throttle cable is in good shape. The throttle control should snap back when you release it. Also, in my Clymer's manual, there is a diagram showing the distances involved in the "clip" where the cable mounts to the carbs. I don't know the technical terms for that... so I'm somewhat at a loss to describe it better. Another possibility, the cable itself is "stretched" and just needs replaced.

My thought is that if the cable isn't adjusted correctly, it won't idle smoothly because the carbs aren't pulling enough gas (check your idle screw, while you're down there...), and it sputters above 6500 because it can't open the carbs any farther.

The Clymer's manuals are worth every penny, if you do a lot of your own work on the bike, they save a lot of time and guesswork. At least for this "know enough to be dangerous" bike mechanic.

Good luck, and hopefully its that simple. These GS's are well worth the work once you've got 'em running right.

Jon

Comment

I fixed the problem, apperently I had a plug that was fouled out, it is amazing how fast it is when it is firing on four cylinders instead of three

Comment

Re: GS not running right

Points gap range is 12 to 16 thousandths. I set them to 14 thou.

Earl

Originally posted by gs550
        I have a 1977 GS550 and it is not running quite right, it has an erratic idel under 2000 rpm, it may jump or fall a couple of hundred rpm, also when I am riding if I accelerate hard it is slow getting up to speed and when the rpm gets above 6500 it sputters, I have set the points at .018, does this sound good to you, please help
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X