Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight, turn signal, starter quit when bike warms up

Hi,

I was cruising along at 35 mph (3000-3500 rpm) on my 1982 GS450T, in 6th gear, and suddenly a police car pulled out in front of me with lights flashing. I hit the brakes, clutch and kill switch, quickly swerved to the side of the street, stopped and then downshifted. After collecting my wits, I tried to start the bike again and the starter wouldn't do anything, not even a click. The headlight, turn signals, and starter don't work. The oil pressure light and neutral gear light do work. I have not had time to check the other electrics. I pushed the bike to a side street and am leaving it there overnight. I hope either the main fuse is blown or the headlight (headlamp) is burned out and causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Tom,

Check the fuses

I had a similar problem. After coming out of a restaurant the bike started right up. Went to pull out on the road, no turnsignals. Pulled over- no headlight either :? . Luckily it was dark yet so hurried on home.(Have to run lights at all times in NY.) :roll:
    Turned out to be the fuse. It is the older glass type fuses. the thing LOOKED good but one end cap fell right off when I pulled it out. Replaced it and no more problem.
    You don,t say what bike you have( mine's a 79 GS850)ut chances are the problem is your fuses.

GOOD LUCK

Scott

Comment

Headlights and starter quit when hot. OK when cool.

I was heartened by your advice about replacing the fuse. I came out this morning, all ready to change the fuse, and it started up immediately. I didn't have to change the fuse or anything!
      Then I rode home (about 20 minutes, in city traffic), hit the kill switch and tried to start it up again, and I had the same problem as I had last night! The headlight and starter didn't work. I let the bike cool down for a few minutes, took out the fuse and put it back in, and then I was able to start it up again. ?????

This must be an electrical problem... Any more suggestions?
      I'm thinking it has to do with temperature.

I don't have the time to devote to fixing the problems this bike has. Is there anybody in the New York/New Jersey area who wants to buy a 1982 GS450T cheap? 12,000 miles. I've been riding it regularly (put about 2,000 miles on it) but it has trouble starting sometimes (although it seems to do fine with a push start), and now this problem... Also the oil filter cover bolts are shot, front fork seals need replacing, the turn signal indicator doesn't snap back into place like it's supposed to because it's missing a ball bearing, horn button is missing so it's jury-rigged, etc...

Tom

Comment

Problem fixed

The problem seems to be fixed. I think the fuse may have been partially bad--- good enough to let current through for the shift lever indicator light but not good enough to light the headlight and work the starter. I replaced the fuse with a new one and it seems to work fine now.

Comment

Working...
        X