Clutch Works Now!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Works Now!!!

I put the new set of EBC heavy duty springs in tonight and went for a test ride. Worked great, pulled 9,000 RPM in 2nd gear twice without slipping. Later on I'll give it a go on the freeway in 5th, but I'm pretty confident the ordeal is over. So, new fibers (10), new steels (10) and then the EBC springs.

Clutch pull is fine, but I'm left handed and not a small guy either.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions along the way.

Eric

Originally posted by Wingnut1 View Post
    I put the new set of EBC heavy duty springs in tonight and went for a test ride. Worked great, pulled 9,000 RPM in 2nd gear twice without slipping. Later on I'll give it a go on the freeway in 5th, but I'm pretty confident the ordeal is over. So, new fibers (10), new steels (10) and then the EBC springs.

Eric

GOOD!! always glad to hear someone was helped here with all us crazy guys!!!!

Oh and I also think it is freakin sweet that you are left handed cause I am TOO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut1 View Post

Eric
      I've heard from others EBC aftermarket springs are a great upgrade choice, without the brutal "drag race" tough clutch pull.

I went with Barnett drive plates, and the OEM Suzuki springs. Very happy so far. (especially when I get stuck in traffic!!! )

Comment

To update my post, later on the clutch slipped, probably the next time I rode it. I put in a piano wire, bevel spring and its face plate. That made things worse, the piano wire compresses the stack and reduces the stack height. It was slipping at anything above 3K.

I had noticed my Haynes manual has a diagram on page 49 for 10 fibers and 11 steels. I read the discussion for that on page 45 and did some math. Turns out that with the thinner fibers, you need 10 & 11 to equal 9 of the old thicker fibers and 9 steels.

Took it apart again, (I'm glad I can resue the clutch gasket over & over) and put in plate 11. Went out and it tested fine (got a warning for doing 67 in a 45). Yesterday I put about 75 miles on it and it worked fine and I pulled it in 5th a few times. I think its finally fixed.

The other thing I did was to sand down the spring spacers. They had some deep grooves, so I ran them on the belt sander until pretty smooth. I'm not sure how big they were to start, but now that are about 1/2" dia.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2009, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X