Accel coils taxing electrical system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel coils taxing electrical system

I finally got my new Accel coils installed in the old GS1100GK, and it wasn't easy.
    After much trial and error, I finally got the right sized bracket made up whereby I can still fit my gas tank back on. I'm a bit concerned on where these things have to be placed.. the wiring harness runs close to the towers of the coils.

Anyway it certainly improved starting. It used to be that I'd have to choke the bike every time I started it, but not any longer.. starts up great after warm without choking. The bike seems to have more omph as well.. but that might have been the case if I had replaced with new old stock coils as well.

The problem however now is that there is more of a drain on the electrical system. I have a voltmeter installed on the bike. It used to show up to 14 volts at highway speeds, but now is showing only a shade below 13 volts, and tooling around town at 30 - 40 mph, it is showing slightly less than 12 volts.

So, given the problem with the charging system, tax on the electrical system, and my worries about the towers so close to the harness, maybe I'll replace with stock if I can still get them and put the Accel coils up for sale on ebay.

Has anyone noticed a difference in their voltage after installing these? Did you all have difficulties fitting these things in the limited space under the tank?

This may not be the results of your coils as much as the rest of the electrical system may need some going over. Clean every plug and connector, check the voltage coming off the stator and your voltage regulator. Make sure your battery connections are spotless and your grounds are good.

Comment

This is exactly what happened to a KZ1000 that I once worked on. We were trying to find out why it wouldn't charge and we had swapped out everything electrically. Finally we put stock coils on it and charging returned. Dyna coils give good spark without the voltage drain.

Comment

accell coils taxing electrical system

I am inclined to go with what michael said because I recently added those coils to my 78 750 and had the same problem but it was not the fault of the coils it was the ground cable on the battery as well as my rectifier replaced those parts and charging system is fine.

Comment

i believe that it is not the fauly of the coils either. A set of coils that will draw too much current probably would cook your electronic ignition .

Comment

accel coils and voltage drop

Well, before I put in the new coils my voltmeter was showing 14 at 50 mph, after I put in the new ones, it is now showing 13 volts at 50 mph.. which leads me to suspect the coils.

BTW, last month I cleaned many of my connections, and installed a relay to have the main curcuit bypass the ignition switch. I gained a full volt doing that.

Despite this drop in voltage nevertheless since putting in the new coils, the bike starts easier now and accelerates quicker.

Comment

just out of curiosity, how does the voltage check out at the rpms stated in the stator papers??

Comment

Also out of curiosity, what is the impedance of the coils in question. Coils for a CDI and for electronic (spelled Dyna S) ignition required different ohms. Are you positive you ordered the correct ones??

Comment

accel coils

I ordered the right coils (3 ohms) #140403 . The bike runs great with these.. incredible acceleration.. it's just that they soak up a bit more juice.

I took the bike for a long ride at 65 mph tonight and the voltmeter was up to a about 13.5 volts.. but back down to 12 and under at city speed.

I'm going to put stock coils back in and when I get time go over the entire harness, clean up all connections etc. After that I'll reinstall these Accel coils and see how it goes. That might not be until winter though or if we get a long strech of rainy weather.. I don't want to waste any good weather and riding time.. riding time is short here in Western NY.

Comment

If you haven't done so Run a extra ground wire from the (-) battery terminal to the mounting bolt of the reg/rect

Comment

Working...
                    X