Tired of my GS marking territory like a Harley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of my GS marking territory like a Harley

Since I changed the stator, I have a steady drip, from the stator cover. I ripped the original gasket, and so I replaced it temporarily with some type of gasket goo. I then replaced the goo with a replacement gasket, after cleaning the mating surfaces VERY carefully. All the bolts seem to be in their proper places ( different lenths), but two bolts on the left side, located under where the starter is, do not tighten properly. Here are the two questions:

1. Even though I cannot see the oil migrating, does it not seem reasonable that the oil would be exiting from the stator cover where the bolts are not properly torqued?

2. How does one get the bolts to properly tighten? Does one re-tapp, or heli coil, or just what?

yes that would be the problem, I do not understand what you mean by "migrate" but all the bolts have to be tightened properly to prevent leaks.
    you can do one of two things, first you can tap the holes to the next larger size, or you can install helicoils.

Comment

Thanks, Leon

I was meaning that the oil, even though I couldn't see it, must have been leaking out of the area where the two bolts were "loose", but dripping off the bike at the lowest point of the stator case, which just happens to be where another bolt is. I do not believe that is were the leak actually is.

I will try the re-tap proceedure first, and if that doesn't work, then (GLUP) the helicoil process

Comment

Originally posted by Jakie
        Thanks, Leon

I was meaning that the oil, even though I couldn't see it, must have been leaking out of the area where the two bolts were "loose", but dripping off the bike at the lowest point of the stator case, which just happens to be where another bolt is. I do not believe that is were the leak actually is.

I will try the re-tap proceedure first, and if that doesn't work, then (GLUP) the helicoil process
        You may try the Permatex Thread Repair kit before tapping(It is a two part epoxy used with a release agent on the bolt). I've used it several times and it has worked especially well on low torque bolts like on the stator cover. You stated that you use some kind of sealer prior to the new gasket...be sure and check that the sealer didn't partially fill up the bolt holes which could prevent the bolts from fully threading into the engine. Also when you replace the gasket again, use some RTV or equivalent in the area where the two engine halves join.
        Here's a link for info on the thread repair I suggested.

Comment

How about a tap.

how about just running a tap through the threads. Don't alter them. Just use the same size that they are, and rinse them out after wards with WD-40 and a pipe cleaner.

Comment

Chris, I will try your suggestion first, as I certainly may have gunked up the bolt holes. Afterwards, if that doesn't work, Dan, then I will try the permatex solution. After all, if I can solve the problem using the current bolts, I will do that. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

John

Comment

i have used a slightly longer bolt in some cases and that worked. Another thought is that it may be coming from the timing chain adjuster.

Comment

Working...
              X