I has piston ring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    The factory Suzuki service manual is clear: The top ring is chrome plated and the second ring is not. The rings have a different shape. The ring end gaps are supposed to be the same for both the top ring and second ring.

The top ring runs hotter than the second ring thus it doesn't make sense to have more clearance on the second ring. Also, the top ring is under more load which is why it's chrome plated - to increase it's life due to the extreme pressure.

Sounds like you should have listened to those people trying to help you.

Clear as mud. That is why I asked. I will pull them out, and put them on the optical comparator, and see what the profile is.

Comment

By the way, the manual you referenced in your third post isn't the right manual for your bike. The '83-'86 GS550 engine is completely different than the '77-82 GS550 engine. It's a 16 valver with a plain bearing crank. The older GS550 is an 8 valve engine with a roller bearing crank.

That page says GS550E-ES/L 1983 at the top.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by makr View Post
        Clear as mud. That is why I asked. I will pull them out, and put them on the optical comparator, and see what the profile is.
        Why bother with a comparator? The chrome ring goes on top. Even if the ring profile is the same, the chrome ring goes on top anyway due to material considerations.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't know of any 3-cylinder BMW cars, so it must have just enough rings.

I had a three cylinder BMW bike, it was one of the good ones.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Why bother with a comparator? The chrome ring goes on top. Even if the ring profile is the same, the chrome ring goes on top anyway due to material considerations.

Because I don't believe anything I read on the internet until I prove it myself. For all I know you are a thirteen year old girl who between live cam feeds on a pron site, jumps on motorcycle forums to steer people in the wrong direction because your dad rides and he once touched you in your naughty spot so you are getting back at him vicariously though us. I don't know.

But if you are not a little girl...I did put it on the comparator today, and you are right. So I just changed all of them around...which means maybe you are not trying to steer me wrong to get back at your dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954
              sounds like somebody needs to grow up......
              and learn to play well with others.....
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

if you want to see mine this is how they look in my 1981 gs650 rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  and learn to play well with others.....

Holy **** that is funny stuff. Maybe I am too out there to play with you Suzuki guys.

Nessism, I am just joking around.

Comment

BTW this is what I am building.

Comment

Can't see a whole lot of your work in progress, but I LIKE your garage.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok fess up everybody...how many of us has worked on their bikes in the house not counting there garage........me I'm guilty

Comment

What model is the two-stroke in the background?

Comment

Originally posted by makr View Post
                            BTW this is what I am building.
                            I like your chain and sprockets... lol

nice frame colour though!!! check out my gs650g.... pics in appearance mods...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Can't see a whole lot of your work in progress, but I LIKE your garage.

Well I started with this:

Comment

Then:

Then I didnt like how long the fork tubes were so I cut 3 inches off.

Then a little together:

Comment

Working...
                                X