leaky petcock/carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaky petcock/carbs

This is one of my first posts. I rarely can't find what I'm needing using the search function. I have a fuel leak and due to dripping and running down crevices I can't find the location. I know my petcock is leaking so that is my priority to replace. The fuel is always on the bottom of #1 and 2 carbs but I think that's due to the bike being on its side stand. The leak on my petcock is external (gasket or just worn out). The fuel seems to collect on the pilot fuel screws on one and two carbs. Has anyone seen these leak even with o-rings replaced? I have a 79 750l so the over flows should be catching any internal stuff but there is no fuel coming from those so I feel pretty confident it's not float needles. I guess my question is should I replace petcock and go from there? I'm definitely a newb at bike repair and maintenance but an pretty competent at understanding and executing guides. Also bike bandit says my petcock is discont. I have the one with no prime setting. when Ireplace it Iwant a prime setting can someone please give me a part number that could accomplish this or I could go the pingel vacuum route. Opinions/advice?

Petcock

Hmm...

I haven't had leaking issues. Have you tried taking the tank off the bike to see where it is leaking from? Could also be the gas gauge float assembly gasket. I would try a new petcock o-ring ($2.20) and perhaps a new fuel sending unit gasket ($3.50) available through a dealer or BikeBandit or another online vendor. While you're in there, you might go ahead and change the fuel line for another few bucks.

Caleb
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

If it's leaking and collecting on the bottoms of 1&2, I would suspect the fuel feed T between carbs 2&3. Unfortunately, the rack has to be pretty much disassembled to do anything about it. If the fuel T is loose, check to see if you have individual o-rings around it or if it's a shrink-wrapped package deal. If it's o-rings, change them. If it's shrink-wrap, wrap a few turns of Teflon tape around the ends and put the carbs back together.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I was in somewhat of a rush when I typed the original post. I originally thought it was the fuel connection between the carbs 1 and 2 so I had already done the teflon wrap before the post. Sorry for not posting that important bit of info. The good thing is the more I take these carbs on and off it doesn't seem so intimidating. Well I guess I'll order a new petcock and see if that is the culprit. I know it is leaking, just not sure if that is what is causing the buildup on the pilot fuel screws. If anyone has any new advice please shower me with your wisdom. Thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
        X