Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie seeks help- 85 GS700 ES

Hey all,

I just purchased my first bike with the help of a few friends, an 85 GS700 ES. Beautiful bike, in great shape, and thusfar I have been extremely pleased. I was hoping my automotive mechanical knowledge would easily morph into motorcycle mechanical knowledge but as it turns out I'm a little more reluctant to just dive in and start tinkering than I thought I would be.

My pursuits to score a good shop manual thusfar has returned nothing. Apparently the GS700's are a little rarer than most other GS's of its day and/or I getting conflicting information on various websites. Even some of the oil filter manufactures don't recognize all the years that the 700's were produced although I have been led to believe the filter size did not change during the 700 production run.

Anyway... figured I start out with the basics, a 6 pack, some good tunes and a good shop manual. i've got the beer and music already taken care of, any advice on the shop manual?

You can get a Suzuki shop manual thru RepairManual.com, or keep an eye out on eBay. The GS700 was only produced one year, but the 83 750 is it's twin, most things are the same, but there are a few exceptions. Some places list parts as 83 - 85 GS750, these parts will fit the 700, they just didn't want to put another line item in their catalog. Have fun, they're great bikes.

Comment

The manual for the 750 of that year should work for you. The only thing different is the displacement. The size you have is a Regan tarriff beater. They dropped it down 50cc to beat the import duty that year, thats why they're not so common.

Comment

Ahh... some interesting facts posted. I got some digging around to do.
        In my previous fact finding endevers I came across http://www.motorbikes.be/brand.asp?brand=Suzuki
        They note production from 84-86. From what I read here only the 85 production made it the US shores? (to the other sites discredit... they also appear to be posting a picture of 700E in the ES descriptions)

Sorry for taking everyone back to Suzuki 101) I am aware of the difference between the Es and ESs whats the difference between the ESs and the ESFs? (all cosmetic?)
        Did the 700 ESF make it to the US?
        Only reason why I asked is because my insurance company recognized only the ESF designation (not E or ES) but I have been able to find very little (if any) info on the ESF's.

Thanks much for all the info..
        G

Comment

The 'F' simply means it was made in 85. So all GS700ES's are actually GS700ESF's.

Comment

Cool.

Well thats enough 101 embarassment for one day!

Thanks again for all the help and patience,
            G

Comment

My gs750e factory manual has an addendum for the gs700e at the back. If you can't find one let me know and I'll photocopy it for you.
              S.

Comment

Originally posted by gws226
                Cool.

Well thats enough 101 embarassment for one day!

Thanks again for all the help and patience,
                G
                We'll take it easy on you for a few days One unsoliticited suggestion from an old #$%# is to search the old Q&A section as well as the hundreds of posts in the different forums and you'll be amazed at the cumulative knowledge of the GS community. Welcome and great choice of bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                  The 'F' simply means it was made in 85. So all GS700ES's are actually GS700ESF's.
                  lhanscom is correct........however, to confuse things further, there is a GS750EF that was sold in the non-US markets (e.g. Europe and Canada) from 1983 to '85 or '86. This "EF" variant had a full fairing vs. the 1/2 fairing of the "ES". Of course, being sold in non-US markets, it could have the full 750cc displacement for all production years. I guess that a Canadian 1985 GS750 with the full fairing would be a GS750EF(F).

Comment

Congratulations on your choice of GS. If you get the manual for an '83 GS750, there is an addedum in it that covers the 700. I've found that anything for a n '83 750 will fit/work with the exception of bodywork and pistons. Oh yeah, the carbs are jetted differently. Enjoy!!

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the extremely generous offers to send copies of files. The original owner was nice enough to give me a buzz today and pass on the addedum from his files to me

Plates and registration are tomorrow... then on the road! (well there predicting 7 straight days of rain starting tomorrow so that may be delayed a bit.)

Since I have all your attention...
                      Whats everyone recommendations on...
                      Chain lube
                      Fork Oil
                      Oil (synthethic)
                      plugs
                      and Oil filters

I would like to do this all right, and got a feeling the best place to ask for recommendations will be from those who own (and appreciate )
                      G

Comment

Working...
                      X