Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 strange oil leak

Hi,

I have a tiny oil leak in the middle of the cylinder on both the left and the right side.

The leak is very tiny and is more like that I have to wipe off the oil after approx 500 km driving.

The problem is I can't figure out from where the oil is comming, there is no gasket near to the leak.

The only thing I can see on the cylinder is a stud ending just above there the oil looks to come from.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

could the oil be comming from the front of the motor and then blowing around the fins to the sides? thats what happend to me and it is the cylinder studs that passes through the block and have air cooling around them. the oil is coming down the stud then blowing around the fin to the side of the motor.

Comment

I also thought that the oil was comming from the front of the motor or from somwhere else, but I could not found oil anywhere else on the motor or the surroundings cooler etc.

Could it be a crack in the cylinder somewhere?

On the other hand, if both sides (left and right) starts to leak, first the right and then the left, within just a couple of weeks, it sounds like the oil is comming from somwhere else than the cylinder???

The three fins just below the stud are oily, more or less from front to rear, no oil elsewhere around the "engines corner".

The "front" and "rear" fins are all "dry".

Skip, if I understand you correct, I should take a more precise look att the front of the engine, because if I have a leak at the engine front, this could happend.?

Comment

make the rounds and re-torque your head bolts/nuts, oil can work it's way past the threads of a loose bolt.

Comment

Followed the advise to look more precise in the front of the engine, and I found a small leak from the valvecover gasket in front center.

Hopefully it is just that.

Comment

Originally posted by kz
            Skip, if I understand you correct, I should take a more precise look att the front of the engine, because if I have a leak at the engine front, this could happend.?
            yes with the motor being black it can be hard to tell were the oil is originating, the best thing to do is to use mechanic ultraviolet die this will make your oil glow bright yellow when you hold a black light to it. most garages have these and they make diagnosing oil leaks fool proof.

Comment

Thanks Skip,

I think I will start by replaceing the valve cover gasket and fix that leak, could never be wrong.

As the valvecover is off anyway, I think I take Focus Frenzys advice as well, and retorque the the head, that could not be wrong either.

Comment

Working...
              X