450L stuck dipstick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450L stuck dipstick

I just bought a really nice '86 450L for my wife to learn to ride on. I am having a heck of a problem getting the oil filler cap/dipstick to budge. The previous owner changed the oil last August and it feels like he must have way over tightened it. Or am I missing something and this cap has left hand threads. I'm going to call the previous owner but I wanted to check here first. Any ideas?

BTW, I ride a Kawasaki Concours and this is our first Suzuki. A fellow COG (Concours Owners Group) member recommended this site for the GS. Looks like a great site. Hello to all!

Rick

My 450 dip stick was the same way. still is every time you go to use it. i just use a pair of needle nose pliers and give it a turn.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
      My 450 dip stick was the same way. still is every time you go to use it. i just use a pair of needle nose pliers and give it a turn.
      Thanks! I was wondering if it was just me. I was finally able to get it off with an adjustable wrench.

I see that you're in Riverside, OH. We're just down the road in Miamisburg.

Comment

Yeah those things can be a pain in the butt. lol Good to see we have another fellow gs'er in the area. im currently getting mine back to running. I just got my bike liscense myself. These little 450's are fun to work on. specially for the beginner like me.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

First of all,

Originally posted by SirLancelot View Post
          I see that you're in Riverside, OH. We're just down the road in Miamisburg.
          Be careful greeting "neighbors" there, Sir Lancelot, I am just across the freeway from you.

About your oil cap ... there should be a o-ring sealing the cap to the clutch cover. You should not have to crank the cap down so tight that it binds. And yes, it has the 'normal' right-hand threads, so turn it counter clock-wise to remove it.

Need help? Let me know.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            First of all,

Be careful greeting "neighbors" there, Sir Lancelot, I am just across the freeway from you.

About your oil cap ... there should be a o-ring sealing the cap to the clutch cover. You should not have to crank the cap down so tight that it binds. And yes, it has the 'normal' right-hand threads, so turn it counter clock-wise to remove it.

Need help? Let me know.

Hi Steve,
            I found a website (M R Cycles) with a parts explosion and saw the o-ring. Mine does not have that so I went ahead and ordered it. Thanks!

I do have another question. About the valve clearance. The previous owner gave me a Clymer manual and it lists valve clearance as 0.03-0.08 mm or 0.0012-0.0016 in. That's quite a bit tighter than the specs for my Connie. Is this correct?
            Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X