Is changing base gasket hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Hey, Lookie what I found, just what we were talking about.

Buy-it-now price is $24 plus $5 s/h.

The ones from the online bookstore will probably be 29-30 bucks plus shipping.
    Note how it covers 79 thru 84, so it will be one of the newer editions.
    The older ones that only cover up thru like 82 (I think) have color schematics, can easly tell those by the big oval emblem on upper right corner that says "color schematics", but dont see those too often.
    Also note how it covers 850 & 1100, and covers 79-84. Not much difference between 850 & 1100, but are some difference between 79-80 and 81-84.

I actually have a 82 1100e model. Sorry if I typed it wrong earlier. Also I have experience in almost everything on the bike except taking heads off and retiming. Although I have done this on cars before, I know it's not the exact same, but I understand it well. Thanks for all your help and I am located in central Illinois

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brown View Post
      I was convinced that I needed to get in and replace that gasket for the same reason... oil coming from what seemed to be the gasket seam, wrapping around the fins, and staining my jeans and airbox cover. After I cleaned everything off, and really focused on finding the exact leak, it turned out to be my chain tensioner leaking oil to the front of the engine, that then wrapped all the way around. Pesky oil...

I've got $20 worth of parts on the way to fix that sucker. WAAAAY easier and less expensive than the base gasket chore I was about to endure.

If you aren't positive about the source of your leak, make sure it isn't something easy first.
      Thanks, I will try to trace it again since it is more pronounced now, I have tried it before with not much luck. thanks again!

Comment

I determined it was the chain tensioner because, after cleaning everything off and going for a ride, there were oil drops coming from the knob at the end of the tensioner, as well as a nice coat on top of the oil pressure sensor.

I've seen some people recommend spraying the suspected area with an aerosol powder, like foot powder, to help trace the path.

Comment

Thanks REDMAN for the advice on the online manual, I printed off the pages I needed, really helped! Also Thanks to Mr. Brown, I will try tonite your suggestion. This site is so helpful.

Comment

Just wanted to add to the idea that before you go tearing the whole thing apart, try and make 100% sure that the leak is coming from where you think it's coming from.

I know that my valve cover is leaking. I can see it leaking through the half moons seals on the side. It actually looks like it's a gasket that wasn't actually designed for the bike that I have.

But, after really looking, I also determined that the part on the front of the engine where the tach cable hooks to the bike was leaking. So that needs to be changed, too.

Also, remember, when you are riding, the air is swirling around the engine in all sorts of ways, and that the oil leak could be coming from nowhere near where it seems like it's coming from.

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
            X