Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did valve adjustment last year and STILL having cold start issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did valve adjustment last year and STILL having cold start issues.

SO what to do now. I used steves sheet last year, and did my valve adjustment, I also did the o-rings in carbs and intake boots, and rebuilt the carbs FULLY!!! and I put it back togeather. new battery. what to do now I drove it last week for approximately 60-70 miles and I got on it a bunch to give it a good run for the first time out this year. I went to start it yesterday(one week later) and nothing. full choke, no choke and giving it throttle, tryed prime, nothing. what to do now? what is wrong with this bike?

Thank you
    Jake

I don't know what is wrong, but are the plugs wet or dry after you failed to get it started?

That's the key
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

weill try T, I think I am as lost as ever.......oh boy when am I not lost in these things.

Comment

Do you have 12 volts at the coils?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          already done it.

Comment

Did you clean the choke jets in the bowls and make sure the brass choke pick-up wasn't clogged?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Did you clean the choke jets in the bowls and make sure the brass choke pick-up wasn't clogged?
              which ones are the choke jets in the bowls? and the brass choke pick-up is.....what?

Comment

The brass tube that goes into the choke jet in the float bowl.

Comment

The brass tube that goes into the choke jet in the float bowl.
                  yeah I squirted carb cleaner threw that and is came out the other side.

so with that what can I do? is there anything eles I can try?

Comment

Might be a silly question, but ... have you checked the valves again?

Yeah, I know you said you did them last year, but how many miles have you put on it since then? It's possible that they might have been near the minimum then, and are now even closer. There might have also been some deposits around the valve seats that is now cleaned off, reducing clearance a little more. Can't hurt to check them.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Might be a silly question, but ... have you checked the valves again?

Yeah, I know you said you did them last year, but how many miles have you put on it since then? It's possible that they might have been near the minimum then, and are now even closer. There might have also been some deposits around the valve seats that is now cleaned off, reducing clearance a little more. Can't hurt to check them.

I was just hoping I didnt have to do that I only rode 1000 maybe. so I dont really know. I can check tho.....

Comment

What are your compression numbers?

Comment

pickin one up this weekend.

Thank you
                          Jake

Comment

HAHAHA Got her goin good she had bad compression so I put some high milage oil in the cylanders and left it over night

it had
                            80 80 100 90
                            now it has
                            90 90 110 100

So still not good but a lot better and she runs great.

Thanks for the help guys
                            Jake

Comment

Put a little oil in each cylinder while doing a compression check. If the number rises alot it is the rings. If they stay the same it is valves.

Comment

Working...
                              X