Oil Light keeps coming on ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light keeps coming on ????

I have a 1981 GS650G. Just got it. When the bike is riden for about 10 minutes, the oil light will come on while in Neutral. I checked and changed the oil, and put in the proper amount. But it still happens... Any Suggestions????

Just curious,

"The proper amount" according to volume that the books says, or according to the oil level window?
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

the book says 3.4 quarts, Looking through the window, it took 3.6.

Comment

Sometimes the sending unit will crap out, there's a resistance check you can do for that. Or, years ago I did some work to the bike and inadvertantly pinched the wire for the sender. The light would flicker and it drove me nuts until I found what I did.

Comment

hi
          I had the same problem on my GS1150 on tick over after it was warm the oil light was flickering on. the oil was leaking back into the sump through the oring that fits on the oil the main oilway to the filter.
          the easy way to check this is to see if the oil level in the window is rising as it warms up.
          I dont know if your GS has the same oil system but might be worth a go

Comment

what oil are you using ???

Comment

On recomendation of my local Cycle shop, he told me to use Vavoline 10W40 since it doesnt have the friction reducer qualities that shouldnt be used. What do you recommend??????

Comment

Originally posted by briang1
                On recomendation of my local Cycle shop, he told me to use Vavoline 10W40 since it doesnt have the friction reducer qualities that shouldnt be used. What do you recommend??????
                Well i sm just taking a stab in the dark and thinking that when the oil is hot it has thinned too much. Perhaps you could try castroll 20-50. We all have used that at one time or another and it is as reliabler as daylight as i see it
                Its just a guess before folks get to mechanical recomendations.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx.paul
                  hi
                  I had the same problem on my GS1150 on tick over after it was warm the oil light was flickering on. the oil was leaking back into the sump through the oring that fits on the oil the main oilway to the filter.
                  the easy way to check this is to see if the oil level in the window is rising as it warms up.
                  I dont know if your GS has the same oil system but might be worth a go
                  What do you mean with "on tick over" and "through the oring that fits on the oil the main oilway to the filter."

The o-ring behind the oil-pump?

Comment

I would try a different sending unit

Comment

Hi KZ
                      What i mean is that I had a problem on my GS1150 engine that the oil light came on at idle when it was hot.
                      The oring i mean is the one that sits in the sump. If you take the sump off you will see a rised round lug this covers the main feed to the filter housing,to seal this there is a oring which fits between the sump lug and the main oil way.
                      If this is not fitted when it is cold the oil is thick enough to give you enough pressure but as it warms up the oil thins and leaks back into the sump hence lossing pressure and the light comes on as the pressure sensor is after the filter.
                      I must say that I dont agree with the pressure sensor unit beening at fault I've never had one fail in 12 years. Easyest way is to do a pressure check when hot.
                      I would also check that the oil pump plate is not scorred as any deep groves in this and you will losse oil pressure when hot, I would also change all the oring as they are cheep and after years go hard.

Comment

Hi GSX Paul,

The reason wy I asked you is because I had/have? a simular problem, when the engine was hot, meaning 25 C or more outside temp and me driving in the city with a lot of idling.

If a stayed at a red traffic light on idling and then made a "hard/quick?" acceleration the oil light came on.

I replaced the O-ring behind the oil-pump and I also replaced the oil-pressure sensor.

The oil-pressure sensor is made with simpel design, and I don't think that there was anything wrong with it in the first place, but as I had it dismantled and a brand new in my hand I changed it anyhow.

After that repair I only experienced that the oil-lamp came on as described one single time.

But it hasen't been that warm yet in Sweden so maybe the error comes back.

But after your clarification I think (if it comes back) that my problem is caused somewhere else. Maybe electrical?

But if you don't have any pressure at idle, a think it could be the o-ring behind the oil-pump.

Comment

Hi KZ
                          Mine is fixed it was the sump oring
                          I don't think your problem could be electrical as if it was then it wouldn't happen just on accleration I would expect it to happen randomly.
                          Are you running gs750 oil drive gears?
                          If not you can try them as they give more oil flow as they make the pump spin faster.
                          Best of luck

Comment

I am sorry, but I can put 750 oil drive gears in a GS650?????

Comment

Working...
                            X