shift fork..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift fork..

what is the best way to tell if the shift fork is bent? I have a bike that is stuck In first gear wont come out.. The guy I got it from pulled away from a light a attempted todrop it hard into 2nd... and no go ... It sounds to me its a shift fork but not sure.. Clutch works good seemingly atleast.....Its a 98 yzf 600r.......thanks for the help

Stuck in 1st

can your shifter still move up & down . I suspect that he may have broken a part on the shift cam when he jammed it in 1st. You might want to start by pulling clutch out so you can see shifter parts behind clutch to see if they are moving properly. Shift shaft comes through motor & attaches to shift cam to ratchet it back & forth. Hopefully problem is not a fork or othe internal part.

Comment

It moves a little but not much.. havent looked into it deeply as of yet.. picking it up tonight.. thinnk I am going to take it into the shop they have the special tools needed to get in there and get the job done right...

Comment

The shift cam is machined steel, the shift forks are aluminum. Guess which one I'm picking. It sounds as if he bent the forks and the mechanism is jammed. You will need to split the cases to investigate fully.

Comment

I was thinking the same.... Have a buddy who I called to reiterate my beliefs.. Shop wants about 200 to do the works including parts.... So that means for 2200 I got a 98 yzf 600r with 6000 miles in cherry cond(exc the tranny)

Comment

That sounds extraordinarilly cheap. They only charging you for an hours work?

While they are in there have them replace all of the seals in the engine - crankshaft, shift lever, output shaft, oil passages, etc. If you are going through the agony of splitting the cases, I wouldn't put it back together without replacing them. Incidentally they cost me about $100 (GS1100) as I had to purchase each one individually - I couldn't find a kit.

Just noticed it's a 98. i replaced my seals because they were over 2 decades old. You may not have to go to those extreemes.

Comment

I was wrongly quoted(damn I didnt get it on paper!!!!!) its no more than 700 and they will replace all seals gaskets adjust the valves fix the forks and replace the clutch( I m doing that part cause im there If it isnt bad Ill leave it)... They said they willl get it to me in a week.... we will see!!!

Comment

Do it yourself. If you have reasonable mechanical skills, and a few tools, you can save big money.

$700 sounds more like it. Too bad the $200 wasn't correct though.

Comment

Working...
                X