GS1100L vs. GS1100E Engine Sprocket Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100L vs. GS1100E Engine Sprocket Installation

Suffering a maintenance issue on the way home from a rally is never fun. I had been riding on a chain which was "stretched" beyond it's limit all weekend. A poor decision to begin with, I know. But I hoped I could squeeze a final 1,000 miles out of it. All things considered, this GS1100L was happy to attend the SoCal rally.

Well I nursed that chain all weekend, while listening to it rattle against the chain guard. While on the way home Sunday night, I pulled into Santa Maria for gas. This time I am hearing and feeling a sickening rattle from around the transmission area. I'm suspecting that the front sprocket nut has worked itself loose. At least, I hope so. If it's anything worse, I don't think I can deal with it. I'm still 220 miles from home!

Well it's late. Almost dark. So I decide to get a room for the night and check it out in the morning with better light. Sure enough, that front sprocket is pretty loose. Now here's the technical issue.

I'm expecting to find the front sprocket on the GS1100L to be the same as my GS1100E. I'm surprised to find no large washer with the "ears" bent over the nut to hold it in place. On this L there is a bolt & retaining washer screwed into the drive shaft, which prevents the nut from turning off completely. But there is enough space for that nut to loosen almost a full turn. What's up with that?

Here's what some of my research reveals. The sprocket is the same part number on both the L & E models. The factory service manual specifically directs the philips head screws to be facing IN on the L model. Whereas, on the E model they are facing OUT.

Here's a few illustrations of the L sprocket installation. You'll see there is no bendable washer.

Here's a book view of the E installation. Philips head screws and the bent washer clearly visible.

So why would Suzuki deliberately REVERSE the sprocket on the same motor? And why would there be so much room for the sprocket nut to loosen on the drive shaft?

Further research finds that all part numbers are the same between models EXCEPT the sprocket nut. The L model nut is NLA. The E model nut is still available.

Now for speculation. Can I install the new sprocket, when I receive it along with the new chain, using the E model instructions? I would mount it with the philips head screws facing out, and with the bendable retaining washer to keep that nut from turning.

Any thoughts fellas? Besides doing a chain conversion...that thought is already in my mind. Let's just pretend I gonna keep it stock, for now.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 01:19 AM.

my only non-educated guess would be for chain clearance reasons

Comment

The sprocket can be split into three pieces with those three phillip screws. The sprocket and two dampeners. Lose the outer dampener and keep the inner and order the E nut and lock washer. This is what I did after walking ten miles the last time it fell off. No more I said!
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thank you Bill. I knew you would post. Your fix sounds right to me, but the question is why the deliberate difference? I'm just curious to know why this was necessary in the first place.

Comment

Perhaps they thought those "soft" cruiser riders needed a bit of extra dampening...?
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
            Thank you Bill. I knew you would post. Your fix sounds right to me, but the question is why the deliberate difference? I'm just curious to know why this was necessary in the first place.
            Chalk that one up with the 80 petcock.
            Dan, you missed the dragrace in the dessert.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

It's ok... I would have lost against most of the bikes there anyway!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                It's ok... I would have lost against most of the bikes there anyway!
                If Jim wouldn't of missed a shift it would of been close.

Comment

Back on the subject...

I'm beginning to piece together a theory. It looks like the sprocket as it is installed on the E slides OVER the spacer on the motor side. When reversed on the L, the sprocket rests against the end of the spacer (and a large washer). This would position the sprocket on the L further from the engine casing. Is the 16" wheel on the L wider than the 17" wheel on the E? If so, then the engine sprocket would need to be farther out.

I'm gonna take some measurements this weekend.

Bill, you run the 17" wheel. Is your sprocket alignment okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                    Back on the subject...

I'm beginning to piece together a theory. It looks like the sprocket as it is installed on the E slides OVER the spacer on the motor side. When reversed on the L, the sprocket rests against the end of the spacer (and a large washer). This would position the sprocket on the L further from the engine casing. Is the 16" wheel on the L wider than the 17" wheel on the E? If so, then the engine sprocket would need to be farther out.

I'm gonna take some measurements this weekend.

Bill, you run the 17" wheel. Is your sprocket alignment okay?
                    The spacing doesn't change until after the sprocket hub. The spacer in the hub is shorter and I had to shim the brake caliper bracket at the axle.

Comment

Hey, I'll take your stretched chain !!

Comment

funny you should mention that Ken...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Hi Dan,

I'm glad all went well at the San Diego rally - I missed you guys.
                          Hope to see you and the gang soon this summer. See you in
                          Dongguan sometimne soon.

Ken

Comment

We had a spot for ya Ken & a Tequila or two in your absence... Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I know, I know what you said but.... Just convert the chain. Easy as pie. get rid of all that stock nonsense, get the spacer and the new sprockets and chain and an E lock tab. Money =D

Comment

Working...
                              X